Manchester attack: All-star concert to pay tribute to victims to go ahead on Sunday amid tighter security

Manchester: An all-star concert to raise funds for victims of the 22 May suicide bombing in Manchester will go ahead on Sunday as planned, but security will be raised after a fatal van and knife attack in London on Saturday, police said.

Vehicles are seen near a police cordon outside the Manchester Arena, where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing, in Manchester, northern England, Britain, May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates - RTX373JR

File image of vehicles outside a police cordon near Manchester Arena on 23 May 2017. Reuters

The "One Love Manchester" concert will feature Ariana Grande, the American singer whose show was targeted by a bomber who killed 22 people and injured 116 nearly two weeks ago.

Other artists due to perform include Coldplay, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams, Take That and the Black Eyed Peas. It will take place at the Emirates Old Trafford Cricket Ground.

"There will be additional security checks taking place and everyone will be searched, including bags," Garry Shewan, assistant chief constable with Manchester police, said in a statement. "We would ask people not to bring bags if they can, as this will speed up entry."

Earlier on Saturday night, six people were killed and scores injured in a terror incident in London in which three attackers were shot dead by police after a white van hit pedestrians on London Bridge.

Three suspects were soon shot down by armed personnel. Police said the three men were wearing fake bomb vests.

Leaders from around the world have condemned the attacks in central London, showing solidarity with the people of Britain.

With inputs from Reuters.


Published Date: Jun 04, 2017 02:40 pm | Updated Date: Jun 04, 2017 02:40 pm


Also See