In association with

Los Angeles police release video in fatal shooting of a black man by the cops

Los Angeles: On Tuesday Los Angeles police released video footage of the fatal shooting over the weekend of a young black man whose death has set off protests and raised racial tensions.

Police chief Charlie Beck said he decided to reverse course and release the footage to dispel competing accounts about Saturday's shooting of 18-year-old Carnell Snell Jr.

"We decided to release the third-party video to alleviate some of the public's anxiety over the incident and to correct what we believe to be a false narrative," Beck told local radio.

The move comes as police have tried to quell public anger and unrest over Snell's shooting.

Representational image. AFP

Representational image. AFP

Beck said the video released on Tuesday clearly shows Snell with a handgun in his hand as he is pursued by police after he exited a suspected stolen vehicle and ran. The video does not show the actual shooting.

Many area residents have questioned the police version of the incident which triggered weekend protests and further stoked a debate over police shootings of African Americans across the country.

Snell was the third black man to die in an altercation with police in southern California in the last week.

Last Tuesday, Alfred Olango, a Ugandan immigrant, was fatally shot in the San Diego suburb of El Cajon.

Olango's sister had called police to report that he was acting erratically and walking in traffic.

Police officials, who eventually released a surveillance video of the incident, said he was gunned down after he pulled an object that turned out to be a vaping device from his pocket and pointed it at an officer.

On Friday, Reginald Thomas died after being tasered by police in the Los Angeles suburb of Pasadena.

The 35-year-old man's brother had called the emergency services saying Thomas was high on drugs and had a knife tucked under his armpit.

His family says the father of eight also had mental problems.

Pasadena police said responding officers decided to shock him with a Taser after he ignored commands to drop a knife and a fire extinguisher he was holding.

He subsequently went into distress and stopped breathing.

The family's attorney Caree Harper told reporters on Monday that police had used excessive force, kicking Thomas in the head and beating him with a baton after using the Taser.

Published Date: Oct 05, 2016 08:00 AM | Updated Date: Oct 05, 2016 08:00 AM

Also See