Islamabad: Pakistan today hoped that the ceasefire violations along the Line of Control would not be a setback to or derail the peace process with India. "You asked whether this will set back or derail the (peace) process. I will hope not and I (do not) see it derailing or setting back the process," Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said during a news conference at the Foreign Office this afternoon.
"I hope both the countries will show their commitment to correct (the situation) as we are showing our commitment to correct," she said in response to a flurry of questions about two clashes along the LoC that left one Pakistani and two Indian soldiers dead.
Khar reiterated Pakistan's offer to have the clashes investigated by the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan. India has outrightly rejected this offer.
"We have asked for (a probe by) UNMOGIP and conveyed to the Indian side that this is an option which is on the table because we clearly have nothing to hide. We would want a third party to investigate the matter and set the record straight," she said.
The situation had deteriorated because of "some unnecessary statements and unnecessary atmospherics which were created", she contended. She said the two countries have mechanisms in place to deal with "challenges like the one we have been faced with in the last week... so that we can continue as normal neighbours".
As part of these efforts, the Directors General of Military Operations of the two countries had been in contact and a protest had been lodged by Pakistan's Foreign Office with the Indian Deputy High Commissioner, she said.
First Published On : Jan 10, 2013 16:09 IST