Istanbul nightclub attack: Two Indians killed in New Year's eve massacre

New Delhi: Two Indians are among 39 people killed in a terror attack at a night club in Turkish city of Istanbul during New Year's celebrations in which at least 70 others were injured.

The deceased Indians have been identified as Abis Hasn Rizvi, son of Former Rajya Sabha MP and noted builder of Bandra in Mumbai Akhtar Hasan Rizvi, and Khushi Shah from Gujarat. Confirming the deaths, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted, "I have a bad news from Turkey. We have lost two Indian nationals in the Istanbul attack. Indian Ambassador is on way to Istanbul.

Representational image. Reuters

Representational image. Reuters

"The victims are Mr Abis Rizvi son of former Rajya Sabha MP and Ms. Khushi Shah from Gujarat." Abis Rizvi was CEO of Rizvi Builders and had produced a number of films including the 2014 movie Roar: The Tigers of the Sundarbans. The External Affairs Minister also spoke to families of both Rizvi and Shah and conveyed her condolences. The External Affairs Ministry has also arranged for visa of the family members of the two deceased who are leaving for Istanbul. "I have just spoken to Mr Akhtar Hassan Rizvi father of Abis Rizvi. He and Mrs Rizvi also want to go to Istanbul. We r organising their visa. I have also spoken to Shri Ashok Shah father of Ms Khushi Shah and conveyed our condolences," Swaraj said.

A family member of Khushi said her brother Akshay Shah and cousin Hiren Chauhan are flying to Istanbul without visa and brought it to Swaraj's attention to which she said their their visa has been arranged. Swaraj said the Indian envoy to Turkey Rahul Kulshreshtha has been asked to receive the families at the airport and make all necessary arrangements. Expressing his condolences, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted, "Heartfelt condolences to the government and people of Turkey on the tragic loss of lives in Istanbul."

The two Indians are among 15 foreigners who have been killed when a gunman went on a rampage at the waterside Reina nightclub where revellers were celebrating the New Year. Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the attacker escaped and security forces have launched a major manhunt to nab him while expressing hope he will be caught soon. Soylu said 20 victims have been identified so far out of which 15 were foreigners and five were Turks. At least 70 wounded people have been admitted to hospital.

"This was a massacre, a truly inhuman savagery.A manhunt for the terrorist is under way. Police have launched operations. We hope the attacker will be captured soon," Soylu said. Turkish state news agency Anadolu also quoted Family Minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya as saying most of the dead were foreigners "from different countries — Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Libya". Local media reports said the attacker may have been wearing a Santa Claus outfit.

Published Date: Jan 02, 2017 09:35 AM | Updated Date: Jan 02, 2017 09:35 AM

Also See