Irbil (Iraq): Iraq's Ministry of Defence says Islamic State fighters have launched a string of counterattacks in a western Mosul neighbourhood that was previously declared free of Islamic State.
The attacks come as Iraqi forces continue to move in on the last pocket of territory the militants hold in the Old City.
Army spokesman Brigadier General Mohammed Al-Khodari says Islamic State sleeper cells set fire to houses and cars on Sunday afternoon. Fighting lasted into the night in the Tanak neighbourhood on Mosul's far western edge.
He says by Monday morning the situation was under control.
Iraqi forces launched an operation to retake the Old City — the Islamic State group's last stronghold in Mosul — just over a week ago, more than eight months after the fight to retake Iraq's second-largest city officially began.
Published Date: Jun 26, 2017 17:10 PM | Updated Date: Jun 26, 2017 17:11 PM