New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said that an Iranian infant banned from entering the United States for life-saving heart surgery under President Donald Trump's order will now be allowed to travel to New York for the emergency procedure.
Cuomo said on Friday that Manhattan's Mount Sinai Medical Center will perform the surgery at no cost.
The baby girl's family tried to enter the country last weekend with a tourist visa through Portland, Oregon. But they were abruptly turned back as natives of one of seven predominantly Muslim countries targeted under the president's executive order.
Private funds will cover travel costs for the infant and her family, as well as their New York stay.
Cuomo worked with the International Refugee Assistance Project to secure a waiver of Trump's order.
Earlier, a 70-year-old Iranian widow with an immigrant visa had been released after being detained for more than 30 hours at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.
President Donald Trump, meanwhile, is defending his sweeping order on immigration and said that he will find other ways to help those suffering from Syria's bloody civil war.
Trump said in a statement on Sunday amid widespread protests that "America is a proud nation of immigrants." And added that the country "will continue to show compassion to those fleeing oppression," but "while protecting our own citizens and border."
Published Date: Feb 04, 2017 11:55 am | Updated Date: Feb 04, 2017 12:27 pm