A new software update for the Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 has started rolling out today that will bring some new features to your device, while giving access to new apps. Two new functions that also come with this software update are Internet sharing (otherwise known as Wi-Fi tethering) and flip-to-silence. Internet sharing will allow you to share your mobile Internet connection over Wi-Fi with up to five other devices or computers. In effect, it turns your Nokia Lumia 800 or Nokia Lumia 710 into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. As for flip-to-silence, well, you turn your phone face down, and all incoming phone calls and alerts will be silenced.
Along with these new features, the software update will also allow you to download some new Nokia apps from the Windows Phone Marketplace this July for your Lumia 800 or Lumia 710. Chief among these are Camera Extras that enhance the camera capabilities of your device.
Download it now!
With Camera Extras and you’ll have a range of new shot options:
- Smart Group Shot makes it easy to capture group shots with just one attempt. With a single press of the camera button, five shots are taken and using advanced algorithms, you can select the best ‘face’ shot for each person in the photo.
- Action Shot allows you to take images of movement and action. Take a burst of shots and you will be able to review them all one on top of another before you select the one you prefer.
- Self Timer lets you put yourself in the picture. Set the timer, then prop up the phone and then join your friends in the shot.
- Panorama enables you to capture beautiful wide landscape images. The simple on-screen instructions guide you as you move your phone, while it stitches together panoramic images with precision alignment.
- Camera Extras is more like several apps rolled into one, but it’s not the only new app that will be available once you’ve installed the software update. Contact Share lets you share and receive Business Cards by SMS. Play To makes it possible for you to share pictures, videos and music from your Lumia smartphone to other DLNA –enabled devices on your home network. Play To is already available for all Lumia devices.
So, how do you update your device?
Users can get the update by connecting their phone to their computer with the USB cable and starting the Zune software on a PC or Windows Phone 7 connector in case of a Mac. The software update is available during June and July 2012 and the apps will be rolled out globally by the end of July. To recap, these apps (except Play To, which is already out) will only be available for your Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 710 once you have installed the new Windows Phone 7.5 software update.
Those who already own the Nokia Lumia 900 or Nokia Lumia 610 (not available in India still), Internet Sharing and flip-to-silence are already available, and you can also get Camera Extras and Contact Share soon. For all of you owning a 710 or an 800, do let us know if you have got and installed the update already.