Seagate Technology has announced three new enterprise-class hard disk drives (HDD) meant for use in traditional data centres and emerging cloud infrastructures.
Primarily for cloud bulk data storage, the Seagate Enterprise Value HDD provides up to 3TB of storage in a low-power configuration. The company also announced its next generation of hard disk drives, the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD featuring the a wide range of capacities (1, 2, 3 and 4TB) of secure data storage for data centre usage, and the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD, which delivers built-in security for data protection.
“Anyone building storage systems today, whether for cloud specific applications or enterprise data centers, is looking to maximize capacity in the smallest possible physical footprint with the lowest operating costs while ensuring long-term scalability,” said Scott Horn, Seagate's Vice President of Marketing. “Our new line of Enterprise hard drives meet this challenge, providing the highest capacity-to-power ratios while ensuring consistent performance and high reliability, making them ideal for use in any data center environment.”
Seagate announces enterprise-class HDDs
With up to 3TB of data storage, the Seagate Enterprise Value HDD, also known as the Constellation CS, allows cloud data centres to meet demands in low workload, 24x7 replicated environments. The Seagate Enterprise platform allows storing large amounts of unstructured data in the cloud, the Enterprise Value HDD provides 7200-RPM performance for 24x7 multi-drive data centre environments.
Here are some of the features of the Seagate Enterprise Value HDD:
- High Capacity-- A range of high capacities (1, 2, and 3TB) in a 3.5-inch form factor, supporting a maximum rack density of 114TB per square foot
- Energy-Efficient-- Reduced energy and cooling costs with the lowest power consumption of any Seagate Enterprise 3.5-inch drive
- Easy-to-Integrate-- Seagate Instant Secure Erase reduces data erasure times from hours or days to one second with a proven 6Gb/s SATA interface for easy integration in lower workload solutions
The sixth-generation of the Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 hard drive, also known as the Constellation ES.3, offers enterprise capacities of up to 4TB for bulk data access in multi-drive data centre environments.
Here are some features of the Seagate Enterprise 3.5 HDD:
- Highest Capacity-- A range of high capacities (1, 2, 3, and 4TB) in a 3.5-inch, 7200-RPM enterprise-class hard disk drive for maximum rack density of 152TB per square foot
- Enterprise Reliability-- 4-th generation SAS interface for high data integrity, 1.4M hour MTBF and enhanced multi-drive, rotational vibration tolerance
- Efficiency-- Seagate’s RAID Rebuild for faster data recovery, choice of 6Gb/s SAS or SATA interfaces for easy integration; high GB/Watt for improved power and cooling in large RAID solutions plus the Seagate PowerChoice feature for increased power savings during idle periods; multi-drive firmware maximised for enterprise RAID system availability and efficient high capacity storage performance
- Security-- 3rd-generation Self-Encrypting Drive technology, SED FIPS US federal government approved security option and Seagate Instant Secure Erase for easy drive disposal or repurposing
A 2.5-inch, 10K-RPM enterprise hard disk drive, the new Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD, also known as the Savvio 10K.6, aims to provide security in high-data environments. The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD matches the sustained data transfer rates found in 15K-RPM, 3.5-inch drives. This drive offers up to 900GB of storage in a small form factor.
The Enterprise Performance 10K HDD has security built-in – at no extra cost for OEMs, system builders and integrators. When used as self-encrypting drives, these devices enable companies to avoid notifying customers of the risk of data breaches should encrypted drives be lost or stolen. Additionally, the Seagate Instant Secure Erase feature dramatically reduces the amount of time and effort needed to retire drives – from many hours or days to less than one second.
The Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD FIPS Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) - available with 900GB capacity only - is currently in review with the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for FIPS 140-2 Level-2 certification and is expected to be available by mid-2013. Seagate FIPS SED drives are the only hard drives to be certified as FIPS 140-2 compliant. The Enterprise Performance 10K HDD FIPS SED drive provides US federal government-grade security options that enable companies to protect valuable data, comply with regulatory mandates, and reduce risk to brand and reputation.
Published Date: Oct 17, 2012 15:21 PM | Updated Date: Oct 17, 2012 15:21 PM