An 18-year old resident of West Patel Nagar, New Delhi, may partially lose his sight due to serious eye injuries sustained when the battery of his mobile phone exploded.
Monu, the son of a small-time trader had only recently bought himself a new phone, a ‘branded’ one at that from Gaffar Market. In a statement provided by the victim to The Times of India, he said that despite adequately charging his phone’s battery the night before, when the cell phone didn’t start-up, he removed the cell phone’s battery from the phone. Just then, a powerful explosion (audible even to his neighbours) rocked his room. The explosion affected his eyes the most and the battery was allegedly found in pieces while the cell phone itself was mangled, post the explosion.
According to the report, initial investigations into the matter blame over-charging of the Lithium battery as the cause for the explosion. This isn't the first time that such an incident has occurred. In an earlier case, the explosion of a mobile battery cost a resident his life.
This incident has once again sparked fears of the authenticity of the mobile parts one uses.
Published Date: Aug 10, 2011 04:17 pm | Updated Date: Aug 10, 2011 04:17 pm