Following Apple’s software and design patent judgement win over Samsung last week, both companies were quick to release statements about the trial and the judgement. While Apple CEO Tim Cook stated that the verdict was “a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right,” Samsung said that the verdict “should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer.”
However, Google, which can be said to be implicitly involved as it is the Android OS that Samsung’s phones and tablets run on, has waited until now to make its opinion public, The Verge reports. The search giant early today issued a statement where it seems to distance stock Android from the court rulings. The statement reads like Google is looking to adopt a somewhat neutral position in the controversy. “The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims. Most of these don't relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the US Patent Office,” it states.
Google does, however, state that mobile companies are in a very competitive market and all players are “building upon ideas that have been around for decades”. The company adds, “We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don't want anything to limit that.”
The statement in its entirety is given below:
“The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims. Most of these don't relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the US Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players — including newcomers — are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don't want anything to limit that”.
Google comments on Samsung Vs. Apple trial verdict
Apple Inc. filed its patent infringement lawsuit in April 2011 and engaged legions of the country's highest-paid patent lawyers to demand $2.5 billion from its top smartphone competitor. Samsung Electronics Co. fired back with its own lawsuit seeking $399 million.
The verdict, however, belonged to Apple, as the jury rejected all Samsung's claims against Apple. Jurors also decided against some of Apple's claims involving the two dozen Samsung devices at issue, declining to award the full $2.5 billion Apple demanded.
However, the jury found that several Samsung products illegally used such Apple creations as the "bounce-back" feature when a user scrolls to an end image, and the ability to zoom text with a tap of a finger.
As part of its lawsuit, Apple also demanded that Samsung pull its most popular cellphones and computer tablets from the U.S. market. A judge is expected to make that ruling at a later time.
Published Date: Aug 27, 2012 12:22 pm | Updated Date: Aug 27, 2012 12:22 pm