Google has pushed some improvements to its Drive app for Android, and says the changes are focused on simplifying the task of creating and accessing one's stuff on-the-go.
Files within the Drive app will be displayed in a card-style that has a clean and simple appearance. Users can swipe between files to view large previews that allow for quick reviewing and discovering information they're looking for. Also, if they want to keep some of their Drive files on their Android device, they can "download a copy" from the actions menu within settings.
Updated to simplify accessing and creating stuff on-the-go
Next up is the ability to keep track of one's important paper documents - receipts, letters, billing statements, to name a few. On the updated Drive app, it is possible to click "Scan" from the Add New menu, click a picture of your document and Drive will convert the document to a PDF that is stored for safekeeping. Also, since Drive can recognise text in scanned documents, thanks to its Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology, one can search to pull up the scanned document, whenever needed.
Editing on Google Sheets has improved too, letting users adjust font types and sizes for a spreadsheet and tweak the cell text colors and cell alignment from the app. Additionally, the Drive app comes with Cloud Print support, letting you print anything from Drive with a Cloud Ready printer.
Swiping action on Drive
All in all, the updated changelog reads thus -
- New grid view makes it easier to find your files
- New quick preview lets you view photos and other files from within the app
- Scan documents, receipts and letters for safe keeping in Drive; then search by contents once uploaded
- Download a copy of files to your local device (Honeycomb+)
- Spreadsheet editor now supports changing fonts, colors and cell alignment
- View properties of files from within the editors
- Bug fixes and visual improvements
The updated app is up for grabs on the Google Play store.
Published Date: May 23, 2013 01:39 pm | Updated Date: May 23, 2013 01:39 pm