Developer Gearbox is probably under a ton of pressure. After snagging the rights to an iconic franchise, they have nearly a decade of expectations to live up to but so far, they seem to be doing all right or so it seems from gameplay videos. And now thanks to Duke4net, we get word on the game’s multiplayer modes that look equally interesting.
Hail to the king indeed
- 4 gameplay modes: Dukematch, Team Dukematch, Capture the Babe and Hail to the King (King of the Hill mode). Dukes on other teams will have either red or blue shirts.
- 8 player max, 4 vs 4 teams only
- In 'Capture the Babe' when you grab the other teams babe sometimes she'll start to freak out as you take her back to your base, so you have to give her a gentle smack to quiet her down
- 10 maps at launch, maps include; remade Dukeburger where all Dukes are miniature running around a giant world, 'Morning Wood' old west town, Vegas Casinos, etc.
- Jetpack only shows up in some multiplayer maps, isn't in single player
- Holoduke will be just like Duke 3D, but this time around the player becomes cloaked, allowing for sneak melee kills
- Steriods allow Duke to do one hit kill punches, also allows for faster run speeds, cannot use weapons, not sure if their immune to Shrinker anymore like in Duke 3D.
- When shrunk by the Shrinker, the mini-Duke can still use weapons, but they only do 10% of the normal damage
- You can plant trip bombs on players and enemies
- Confirmed weapons; pistol, shotgun, ripper chaingun, pipebomb, rpg, shrinker, railgun, freezer, devestator, tripbomb. Can only use 2 primary weapons at once along with pipebombs and tripbombs.
- As you kill other players you gain experience points, which, when acquiring enough of them, you can spend the points on customizing your Duke. Basic kills get basic points, but specialty one time achievement kills like killing someone when using the holoduke or funny kills like killing yourself with the pipebomb by accident, gives you bonus points.
Duke Nukem Forever releases this May for the Xbox360, PS3 and PC.
Published Date: Mar 21, 2011 05:48 pm | Updated Date: Mar 21, 2011 05:48 pm