Australian batsman David Warner has been fined A$5,750 for his Twitter outburst against two journalists, the maximum financial penalty for a first offence, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Wednesday.
The 26-year-old, who was in India playing the Indian Premier League (IPL) reportedly tweeted insults has faced a disciplinary hearing on his arrival back in Sydney on Wednesday. He has been charged with 'unbecoming behaviour' according to CA’s code of conduct. Warner was angered that a newspaper had used a picture of him next to an article on corruption in the IPL written by Robert Craddock. Another journalist, Malcolm Conn, was attacked when he entered the conversation in support of his colleague.
David Warner's bad on Twitter
"In hindsight, clearly I let my frustrations get the better of me and posted some inappropriate tweets last weekend," Warner said in a CA statement. "While I disagreed with the story and my image being used alongside the story, I could have chosen my words better and I apologise for any offence that my language may have caused. I'll continue to have honest conversations with all my followers and I will be mindful of the language I use in future."
The flamboyant left-hander looks likely to open the batting for Australia in back-to-back Ashes series against England starting in July. Earlier on Wednesday, he received backing from Australia captain Michael Clarke, who suggested the incident may not harm his chances of one day leading his country.
"He has apologised and made it very clear it was unacceptable," Clarke told reporters at Sydney airport. Clarke, who once apologised for not ‘walking’ via Twitter, also said there were no plans to restrict the use of social media by players, although they needed to recognise there was ‘a line that cannot be crossed’.
Published Date: May 22, 2013 06:11 pm | Updated Date: May 22, 2013 06:11 pm