If you need to transfer heavy PowerPoint presentations in parts and don't want the files to be edited, you can convert them into images instead.
Editing 'PowerPoint Show' (pps) files
Most files that are circulated or created for presentations are *.pps file which are auto executable presentation files. These presentations run automatically and are cannot be edited directly. To convert such files, you need to ensure that you can edit them. To do so, carry out the following steps:
- Locate the file that needs to be edited.
- Right click on the file.
- Select 'Open With | Microsoft Office PowerPoint' option from the context menu. The file can now be edited using MS PowerPoint application.
Converting slides into images
Although we are not making any changes in the file itself, we need to open it with the PowerPoint application in order to convert the slides into images. To save images in the JPEG format, carry out the following steps:
- Click the 'Office' button after the file is loaded.
- Select the 'Save As' option from the drop-down list.
- Select the 'Other Formats' option from the panel that appears to the side.
- Browse for an appropriate location to save the folder containing the images.
- Select 'JPEG File Interchange Format' option from the 'Save as type:' drop-down list.
- Click 'Save' to continue.
Note: The images are placed inside a folder bearing the saved name of the presentation which is created by the application automatically.
- Click the 'Every Slide' button in the dialog box that appears.
- Click 'OK' on the subsequent dialog box to complete the process.
Note: The 'Current Slide Only' button converts only that slide which is currently selected into an image.
Creating presentation with converted slide images
There are two circumstances under which you would want to create a PowerPoint presentation using these images. One is that you can transfer the file with ease via individual images. Secondly the presentation becomes completely non editable and there are no font compatibility issues. To create presentations using the images, carry out the following steps:
- Go to 'Start |All Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007' to start the application.
Note: You can use MS PowerPoint 2003 also, however the menu options will change accordingly.
- Go to the 'Home' tab.
- Click on the 'Layout' option appearing under the 'Slides' section of the tab.
- Select the 'Blank' option from the drop-down list.
- Next, go to the 'Design' tab.
- Click the 'Background Styles' option from the 'Background' section of the tab.
- Click the 'Format Background…' option from the drop-down list.
- Click the 'Picture or texture fill' option in the 'Format Background' dialog box.
- Click the 'File' button to continue.