Mark Webber led his Red Bull teammate, Sebastian Vettel, in a one-two finish in the opening session of the Spanish Grand Prix practice on Friday. Webber, the champion in Barcelona last year, set a quickest lap time of 1min 25.142sec at the Circuit de Catalunya.
Vettel, who has won three of the season's first four races, was more than a second behind Webber. The defending Formula One champion was two-tenths of a second faster than Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg, while Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso finished fourth in front of a home crowd.
It turned out to be an eventful day for Alonso who’s contract with Ferrari was extended till 2016. Alonso's best lap of 1:26.480 was more than two seconds quicker than that of his teammate, Felipe Massa, who was 16th.
McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, the only driver other than Vettel to win a race this season, finished sixth. Hamilton had a best lap of 1:26.988; his teammate, Jenson Button, was ninth in 1:27.138.
How They Finished
1. Mark Webber, Australia, Red Bull, 1min 25.142sec, 27 laps.
2. Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Red Bull, 1:26.149, 20.
3. Nico Rosberg, Germany, Mercedes, 1:26.379, 29.
4. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Ferrari, 1:26.480, 27.
5. Sergio Pérez, Mexico, Sauber, 1:26.738, 26.
6. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, McLaren, 1:26.988, 19.
7. Michael Schumacher, Germany, Mercedes, 1:27.016, 32.
8. Nick Heidfeld, Germany, Renault, 1:27.132, 21.
9. Jenson Button, Britain, McLaren, 1:27.138, 22.
10. Rubens Barrichello, Brazil, Williams, 1:27.212, 20.