BlackBerry’s most powerful tool with today’s social networking crowd is of course BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). It’s been doing wonders for the company’s sales figures so far and it’s now going to get even better. According to BlackBerry’s developer blog, the SDK for the BBM platform will now be available to developers to create apps that could be integrated with the service or vice versa. This means the BBM Social Platform has officially made it to public beta.
More power to the chat
With this beta release, developers have the ability to accomplish the following:
- Access and update fields in the user’s profile such as status, avatar and personal message;
- Create their own custom areas within the user’s profile for promoting recent application activity or storing trophies and achievements;
- Initiate and embed chats with friends;
- Initiate application-to-application background communication through BBM for sending and receiving application instructions, such as moves in a game or any other application state changes;
- Initiate file transfers;
- The ability to share applications virally with friends in their contact list.
From transferring files to chatting directly within an application, the new version of BBM that’s due in April will also add WebWorks web app compatibility. This is going to take the platform to a whole new level and BBM-ers should be thrilled with the outcome.
Published Date: Mar 16, 2011 11:14 am | Updated Date: Mar 16, 2011 11:14 am