Airtel has introduced a new app exclusively for its customers that will enable them to view their location on a map and plan the route from one place to another. An official statement adds that SmartDrive is assisted by a voice-based turn-by-turn navigation that gives real-time information updates on traffic situation on roads around.
Going further, the company claims that the app also suggests the subscriber an alternate route in case of traffic congestion on the normal route. Airtel, with the launch of SmartDrive, claims to have become the first operator in the country to offer such a product giving real-time traffic flow information, along with other valuable information.
Airtel SmartDrive app launched
Airtel customers can download the app from www.airtellive.com/smartdrive using their mobile or by sending SMS smart to 54321. Users can avail the Search and map viewer feature on the SmartDrive app for no cost. The daily pack of the Navigation feature will cost users Rs 10 per day, while the monthly pack of the Navigation feature will cost users Rs 99 per month. The daily pack of the Live traffic feature will cost users Rs 3 per day, while the monthly pack of the Live traffic feature will cost users Rs 49 per month.
Airtel in its official statement writes further that data browsing is absolutely free till November 30, after which normal data usage charges will apply as per the data pack availed by the customer.
Airtel launches its voice-based, real-time navigation service
- Search for POI (Points of Interests) - Using the SmartDrive app, users can search and get the exact positions for their destinations. Points of Interests are grouped into categories, like restaurants, theatres, shopping malls etc. Once the application is downloaded this feature can be used absolutely free of cost.
- Voice Navigation - The SmartDrive application will guide you to reach the place of your choice by giving you turn by turn directions. The official statement adds further that users can choose the fastest way they want to take as SmartDrive will also give approximate time the journey will take basis the traffic on the various routes.
- Live Traffic information - Traffic is calculated basis the number of GPS devices being used on the particular road and their average speed and historical trends of traffic. Currently, it is live in Delhi and NCR, Mumbai and Bangalore cities and will be live in Hyderabad, Chennai and Pune by December. The app gives traffic status on major roads in a colour coded format as described below – Red (implying heavy traffic), Yellow (implying medium traffic) and Green (implying Free flow of traffic).
Some of the other features of the SmartDrive application are:
- Share the app with a friend
- Trip recorder - to record all trips you make when using voice navigation for later reference
- Wikipedia information of places for which information is available.
- Add frequently visited locations to favourites so that you don’t have to search again and again
- Weather information about the place
Published Date: Sep 12, 2012 06:08 pm | Updated Date: Sep 12, 2012 06:08 pm