Internet Corporation for Assigned Named and Numbers (ICANN) revealed a full list of the applicants who had applied for the new customised domain names.
According to the list competing applications were file for some 231 domain names. The most popular was .app with 13 bids, .home with 11, and .inc with 12. Surprisingly Apple’s bid for .apple was uncontested.
So who were the leading Indian names in the domain-name land-grab that is going on. From Bharti Airtel Limited for .airtel to State Bank of India for .statebank the list wasn’t exactly long. Here are the names of Indian companies and the bids they applied for:
• Bharti Enterprises (Holding) Private Limited for .bharti
• Dabur India Limited for .dabur
• Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (HDFC) for .hdfc
• HDFC Bank Limited for .hdfcbank
• Nameshop for .idn
• Reliance Industries Limited for .indians, .reliance, .ril
• Infosys Limited for .infosys and .infy
• Lupin Limited for .lupin
• Infibeam Incorporation Limited for .ooo
• DotPing Inc for .ping
• Shriram Capital Ltd for .shriram
• Star India Private Limited for .star
• Tata Sons Limited for .tata
• Tata Motors Ltd for .tatamotors
• T V Sundram Iyengar & Sons Limited for .tvs
.Indians sounds like a bizarre domain but it seems logical to bid for whatever seems up for grabs as the party has just begun. You can view the entire list here.
Other choices that reveal the madness of the bidding sytem include .baby which got eight bids, and .tennis which got four bids. Web, Website and VIP were also part of the list. Its obvious the smart ones are not leaving anything to chance and registering for everything that’s possible.
The fact that app has the most bids is not surprising. The app mania that currently prevails means companies like Google, Amazon, both of which have their own app store online would not want to lose out on the domain name.
The new naming system will also give domain names in the regional languages thus ensuring that non-english users can access the web easily. The Hindi bids in the list are Com ( written in Hindi), Sangathan (group) and the word net written in Hindi.