Sunday, February 14, 2016| Latest E-book
You are here:
United States
#

United States

Articles

Pope presses Mexican president on corruption and drugs | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Pope presses Mexican president on corruption and drugs | Reuters

MEXICO CITY Pope Francis called on Mexico's government on Saturday to fight endemic corruption and drug trafficking and he then prayed with thousands before the icon that unites the country - the Virgin of Guadalupe. Corruption is deeply ingrained in Mexico, and President Enrique Pena Nieto, his wife and finance minister have all been embroiled in conflict of interest scandals involving homes purchased from government contractors. The pope also exhorted Mexico's bishops to take a more active stand against the drug trade, which he said "devours like a metastasis." Drug-trafficking gangs have infiltrated police forces across the country and more than 100,000 people have been killed in drug violence over the last decade. #United States #United Kingdom #Entertainment #Christianity #article
Saudi Arabia confirms sends aircraft to Turkey for IS fight | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Saudi Arabia confirms sends aircraft to Turkey for IS fight | Reuters

CAIRO Saudi Arabia confirmed late on Saturday it sent aircraft to NATO-member Turkey's Incirlik air base for the fight against Islamic State militants. Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, adviser in the office of Saudi Arabia's minister of defence, told pan-Arab Al Arabiya television that the kingdom was committed to stepping up the fighting against Islamic State and that the move was part of those efforts #United States #Europe #markets #Argentina #United Kingdom #Latin America
Sudden Supreme Court vacancy seizes U.S. campaign spotlight | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Sudden Supreme Court vacancy seizes U.S. campaign spotlight | Reuters

WASHINGTON The future of the U.S. Supreme Court grabbed center stage in the country's presidential campaign with the sudden death of Justice Antonin Scalia, setting up an election-year battle over who should succeed him on a nine-member bench that interprets U.S. law over such hot-button issues as abortion, gay marriage, healthcare and immigration #United States #India #Syria #Entertainment #opinion
Syrian army gains ground around Aleppo, looks to Raqqa | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Syrian army gains ground around Aleppo, looks to Raqqa | Reuters

MUNICH/BEIRUT Russia said on Saturday a Syria ceasefire plan was more likely to fail than succeed, as Syrian government forces backed by Russian air strikes took rebel ground near Aleppo and set their sights on the Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa province. International divisions over Syria surfaced anew at a Munich conference where Russia rejected French charges that it was bombing civilians, just a day after world powers agreed on the "cessation of hostilities" due to begin in a week's time #United States #Syria #Europe #Iran #Turkey #crisis #opinion
Turkey strikes Kurdish militia in Syria, demands it withdraw | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Turkey strikes Kurdish militia in Syria, demands it withdraw | Reuters

ANKARA/ISTANBUL Turkey's military shelled Kurdish militia targets in northern Syria on Saturday and Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu demanded that the group withdraw from the area in a move that further complicated the conflict across the NATO member's border. #United States #India #Business #Islam #Russia #Europe #opinion
Deep freeze grips U.S. northeast, triggers fatal 50-car pileup | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Deep freeze grips U.S. northeast, triggers fatal 50-car pileup | Reuters

BOSTON, Mass A dangerous cold snap bringing life-threatening cold was settling in across the northeastern United States on Saturday and a snow squall triggered a pileup of dozens of vehicles on a Pennsylvania highway that left several people dead. Officials warned people to stay indoors away from what the National Weather Service described as "life threatening" cold. Wind chill advisories were in effect over parts of nine states extending from northern Pennsylvania to western Maine, with forecasters expecting gusts up to 45 miles per hour (72 kph) #United States #Environment #science #Europe #Massachusetts #opinion
Lavrov says Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Lavrov says Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed | Reuters

MUNICH Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday that the odds of a ceasefire for Syria being successfully put in place by next week were less than 50 percent. Asked at a security conference in Munich to assess the chances of the ceasefire deal succeeding, Lavrov answered: "49 percent". Asked the same question, his German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier put the odds at 51 percent. #United States #Business #Russia #markets #Latin America #crisis
Loser! Jerk! Insults fly on Republican campaign trail | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Loser! Jerk! Insults fly on Republican campaign trail | Reuters

WASHINGTON For months Republican U.S. presidential candidates traded insults such as "dummy," "jerk" and "loser." Then, party front-runner Donald Trump repeated a supporter’s description of Ted Cruz as a "pussy." With the contest for the party's nomination moving into South Carolina and the stakes rising, it is possible the most disparaging discourse of the Nov. 8 election campaign is yet to come #United States #India #Syria #Russia #science #markets #article
Afghan Taliban use captured Humvees in suicide attack | Reuters

Feb 14, 2016

Afghan Taliban use captured Humvees in suicide attack | Reuters

LASHKAR GAH Taliban insurgents in captured military Humvee vehicles launched suicide attacks in the southern Afghan province of Helmand on Saturday, killing several members of the security forces in the district centre of Sangin, a senior official said.     The incident came amid bitter fighting in Helmand, a traditional Taliban heartland where insurgents have overrun many areas, leaving government forces in some district centres including Sangin and Marjah barely clinging on.     Provincial police chief Abdul Rahman Sarjang said that after heavy fighting on Friday during which the Taliban lost around 40 fighters, suicide bombers in two captured Afghan army Humvees targeted the police and governor's headquarters. #United States #Pakistan #Afghanistan #Argentina #Latin America #Entertainment
Russia warns of new Cold War as east Ukraine violence surges | Reuters

Feb 13, 2016

Russia warns of new Cold War as east Ukraine violence surges | Reuters

MUNICH Violence in eastern Ukraine is intensifying and Russian-backed rebels have moved heavy weaponry back to the front line, international monitors warned on Saturday as Moscow responded by accusing the West of dragging the world back 50 years. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev described East-West relations as having "fallen into a new Cold War" and said NATO was "hostile and closed" towards Russia, in the latest sign that peace efforts have made scant progress almost two years since Moscow annexed Crimea. "I sometimes wonder - are we in 2016 or 1962?," Medvedev asked in a speech to the Munich Security Conference. #United States #India #France #markets #crisis #Ukraine