You are here:
Security
#

Security

Security - Total results - 1976

Turkey's purged NATO staff not coup plotters - alliance commander | Reuters

Updated : Dec 07, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Turkey's purged NATO staff not coup plotters - alliance commander | Reuters

By Robin Emmott | BRUSSELS BRUSSELS NATO's top commander said on Wednesday he did not believe Turkish personnel sacked from NATO command were involved in July's abortive coup and has raised his concerns with Turkey about the impact on its armed forces.Curtis Scaparrotti, a U.S general who is NATO Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, said some 150 military staff, or half of the Turkish military under his command at NATO, had been detained, recalled or retired from the alliance after the July 15 coup attempt. Asked if he thought they might have been involved in the planning of a coup, Scaparrotti said: "No ... These officers served well here in NATO.""I have a concern about what happened to the people who were working for us," he told reporters following a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, saying he had raised the issue with the chief of Turkey's military General Staff."I've said to General (Hulusi) Akar, my concern is that they would follow the rule of law and treat their people appropriately," Scaparrotti said, adding that Akar had promised he would "personally look into their welfare".Reuters exclusively reported in October that Turkish authorities had dismissed hundreds of senior military staff serving with NATO in Europe and the United States following July's coup attempt as part of a wide-reaching security clampdown that has raised human rights concerns. #United States #India #Middle East #Europe #Crime #Security #Argentina
Saudi court sentences 15 people to death for spying for Iran | Reuters

Updated : Dec 07, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Saudi court sentences 15 people to death for spying for Iran | Reuters

DUBAI A Saudi court on Tuesday sentenced 15 people to death for spying for the kingdom's arch-adversary Iran, Saudi-owned media reported, a ruling that could heighten antagonism between the regional powers.The Specialised Criminal Court in Riyadh sentenced 15 other defendants to prison terms ranging from six months to 25 years, and acquitted two of them, the Arabic-language al-Riyadh newspaper said on its website.The defendants - comprising 30 Saudi Shi'ite Muslims, one Iranian and an Afghan - were detained in 2013 on charges of espionage for Iran and went on trial in February. Tuesday's rulings are subject to appeal, and death sentences must go to the king for ratification.Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi denied that any Iranian spying had occurred in Saudi Arabia. #United States #Business #Afghanistan #Security #Entertainment #lifestyle
Libyan forces clear last Islamic State holdout in former bastion Sirte - spokesman | Reuters

Updated : Dec 06, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Libyan forces clear last Islamic State holdout in former bastion Sirte - spokesman | Reuters

SIRTE, Libya Libyan forces backed by U.S. air strikes have finished clearing the final district of former Islamic State stronghold of Sirte in which the jihadist group had been holding out, a spokesman for the forces said on Tuesday.Rida Issa said the forces had "secured all the buildings and the streets" in the Ghiza Bahriya area, where Islamic State fighters have dug in for weeks. A Reuters witness confirmed the battle for control of Ghiza Bahriya had ended #Economy #India #markets #Africa #Security #United Kingdom
Putin discusses Syria's Aleppo with Russian security chiefs - agencies | Reuters

Updated : Dec 01, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Putin discusses Syria's Aleppo with Russian security chiefs - agencies | Reuters

MOSCOW Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed the situation in Syria's Aleppo with his security council, Russian news agencies quoted Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying on Thursday.Putin and the country's security chiefs have agreed on the need to continue efforts to deliver humanitarian aid to eastern Aleppo, Peskov was quoted as saying. (Reporting by Katya Golubkova; editing by Maria Kiselyova) #India #Business #Islam #Russia #Security #crisis
Uganda says 55 police, tribal insurgents killed in clashes | Reuters

Updated : Nov 27, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Uganda says 55 police, tribal insurgents killed in clashes | Reuters

By Elias Biryabarema | KAMPALA KAMPALA The Ugandan authorities said on Sunday 41 tribal insurgents and 14 police officers were killed in clashes in the west of the country, and the tribal king of the area near the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo was detained.The police, who announced the death toll on Twitter, said the clashes took place in the Rwenzori region, where there has been unrest since a disputed presidential election in February that was won by veteran leader Yoweri Museveni.Police said the people it simply described as "attackers" were fighting to create an independent state in the area.Army spokesman Paddy Ankunda told Reuters that Charles Wesley Mumbere, the king of the Rwenzururu Kingdom who supports the opposition, was detained for questioning. There are several tribal kings in Uganda who have a largely ceremonial role with some modest regional powers.The opposition has accused the government of stoking tensions in the region, where the opposition has strong support, with a clamp down on political activity."The attackers used IED (improvised explosive devices as) grenades, guns, and spears to attack security personnel," the police said, adding a police vehicle at a security post was burned during the fighting. "So far we have arrested 15 key ring leaders," police said.According to the Daily Monitor, a leading local daily, a group of security personnel on patrol in Kasese, the biggest town in the region, was attacked by Mumbere's royal guards on Saturday, sparking a firefight that led to clashes. #Business #Europe #markets #Security #Uganda
U.N. close to sanctions deal to slash North Korea export earnings: diplomats | Reuters

Updated : Nov 26, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

U.N. close to sanctions deal to slash North Korea export earnings: diplomats | Reuters

The U.N. Security Council's five veto powers are close to approving new sanctions on North Korea to cut the isolated state's earnings from exports by more than a quarter, principally by targeting its coal exports to China, diplomats said on Friday.The U.S.-drafted resolution, in response to North Korea's fifth nuclear test in September, would set a U.N. #United States #Business #Middle East #Russia #markets #North Korea #Security
Amnesty says pro-Hadi Yemen fighters harassing medics in Taiz | Reuters

Updated : Nov 24, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Amnesty says pro-Hadi Yemen fighters harassing medics in Taiz | Reuters

DUBAI Amnesty International accused pro-government Yemeni troops battling Houthi forces for control of the southwestern city of Taiz of harassing medical staff and putting fighters among the civilian population, in charges the authorities strongly denied.Civilians in Taiz, which had a pre-war population of 300,000, have been trapped by intense fighting, with dead bodies lying in the streets and hundreds of people wounded this week, the International Committee of the Red Cross said on Tuesday.Amnesty, a London-based human rights watchdog, said that so-called Popular Committees - anti-Houthi local militias backed by exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government - had detained and threatened to kill medical staff in Taiz and deployed tanks outside hospitals.Popular Committee fighters hold most of Taiz, Yemen's third largest city, but are hemmed in by Houthi forces on three sides. "There is compelling evidence to suggest that anti-Houthi forces have waged a campaign of fear and intimidation against medical professionals in Taiz," said Philip Luther, research and advocacy director at Amnesty's Middle East and North Africa wing."By positioning fighters and military positions near medical facilities they have compromised the safety of hospitals and flouted their obligation to protect civilians under international law." Deputy Human Rights Minister Nabeel Abdulhafeedh Majed said the report was biased and contained factual errors. He said pro-government "Resistance Forces" had no tanks in Taiz, adding that it was the Houthis who were besieging the city and terrorising civilians."Even if some isolated incidents of revenge by individuals in the Resistance had happened in the past, this is no longer the case," Majed told Reuters by telephone from Cairo."The national army has brought matters under control and army officers now lead the resistance in a professional manner," he added. #India #Business #Middle East #Security #Argentina #United Kingdom #lifestyle
U.S., China agree on new North Korea UN sanctions, Russia has issues - diplomats | Reuters

Updated : Nov 23, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

U.S., China agree on new North Korea UN sanctions, Russia has issues - diplomats | Reuters

By Michelle Nichols | UNITED NATIONS UNITED NATIONS The United States and China have agreed on new U.N. sanctions to impose on North Korea over the nuclear test it conducted in September, but Russia is delaying action on a draft resolution, a senior Security Council diplomat said on Wednesday.The diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity, believed China could persuade Russia to agree to the new sanctions and that the 15-member Security Council could vote on the draft resolution as early as next week.Since North Korea's fifth and largest nuclear test on Sept #India #China #Russia #markets #North Korea #Security #United Kingdom
Old Trafford sleepover: Manchester United fans hide overnight in bathroom to watch team play

Updated : Nov 22, 2016

By : AP

Category : Sports

Old Trafford sleepover: Manchester United fans hide overnight in bathroom to watch team play

Two Manchester United fans spent Friday night hidden in an Old Trafford toilet in an attempt to see the Premier League game against Arsenal on Saturday. #football #Manchester United #Security #Arsenal #KickingAround #Old Trafford #Fans #Football Fans #Shareworthy
Blast in Libya's Benghazi kills three children - hospital official | Reuters

Updated : Nov 22, 2016

By : Reuters

Category : World

Blast in Libya's Benghazi kills three children - hospital official | Reuters

BENGHAZI, Libya At least three children were killed and 20 people wounded by a blast in the Libyan city of Benghazi on Monday, witnesses and a medical official said.A Reuters reporter saw billowing smoke and flames at the site of the explosion near the city's Jala hospital, which destroyed several vehicles, scattered the body parts of victims and shattered windows in nearby buildings. Witnesses said the blast had been caused by a car bomb though Abdulhakim Matouk, a spokesman for Libya's eastern government, said initial investigations suggested it was caused by projectiles fired from nearby. A hospital official said the bodies of three children had been received.Benghazi has been the scene of fighting between the Libyan National Army (LNA) and Islamist-led opponents for more than two years #markets #Africa #Security #United Kingdom #lifestyle