Troubled Nick Kyrgios' ban to be reduced by ATP after Australian seeks psychological help

Sydney: Wayward Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios is seeking psychological help and his eight-week playing ban is set to be reduced, the ATP said on Sunday.

The ATP earlier this month handed out a $25,000 (22,700 euros) fine and imposed a conditional suspension if the 21-year-old did not seek help following a tantrum at the Shanghai Masters.

The volatile Kyrgios was receiving treatment as part of his rehabilitation. Reuters

The volatile Kyrgios was receiving treatment as part of his rehabilitation. Reuters

The ATP said it would reduce the ban to three weeks if the volatile star engaged an approved sports psychologist.

The sport's governing body confirmed Kyrgios was receiving treatment as part of his rehabilitation.

"Nick has taken up the care plan on offer to him from the ATP. The details and contents of the plan are strictly confidential," the ATP said.

It now appears that the Australian world number 13 will be allowed to compete again from 7 November.

But Kyrgios's season is over with no more tournaments scheduled for this year other than next month's World Tour Finals in London for which he did not qualify.

Should his ban be reduced by the ATP, Kyrgios is expected to begin the new season at the mixed team Hopman Cup in Perth on 1 January ahead of the Australian Open in Melbourne.

The Shanghai outburst was the latest incident involving the Australian.

Last year he was given a suspended one-month ban for making comments to Stan Wawrinka about his girlfriend.


Published Date: Oct 30, 2016 03:52 pm | Updated Date: Oct 30, 2016 03:52 pm


Also See