As Virat Kohli made clear, the Indian Premier League is a chance for players to let their hair down and have a bit of fun. Yes, there is plenty of money at stake but it still isn’t as serious as international cricket. It is also a chance for players from different countries to get together and enjoy themselves in a competitive yet entertaining way for the next six weeks.
This mix naturally gives rise to some entertaining or interesting quotes. Over the course of IPL 7, we will be keeping an ear out for what people say – from players and coaches to owners and fans. We’ll update the list on a daily basis, so make sure you keep coming back for quotes that are sure to make you laugh or make you think (or both).
"Both teams played splendid cricket but NO team deserved to win."
- Ravi Shastri goofs up post the KKR vs KXIP final.
"Maxwell can expect me to bowl more over the wicket in the next game"
- Ashwin randomly interjects in post-match interview after MI vs CSK Eliminator to challenge Maxwell
"Yeah, I've been hitting them at 12/over so it doesn't bother me"
- Glenn Maxwell when he was informed by commentators that he was dismissed five times by leg spinners in IPL 7 so far.
"He learned from the best."
- Chris Gayle when he was asked about Kieron Pollard's incredible catch against Rajasthan Royals (to dismiss Kevin Cooper).
"I don’t really bowl for wickets, but I think wickets."
- KKR pacer Morne Morkel on being asked whether he focuses on taking wickets or restricting the flow of runs
"My father is only six years older than (my team-mate) Pravin Tambe."
- Sanju Samson in one of those dugout interviews.
"One of the ways to judge my mood is through my toothbrush. When things are going well, the toothbrush bristles stay in top form – straight and soft, right out of any commercial. When it isn’t, it seems the toothbrush has gone for that stylish haircut — the-out-of-the-bed look types."
- Gautam Gambhir uses an odd example to describe his mood in a newspaper column.
"(VVS) Laxman and (Kris) Srikanth there... I'm sure Srikanth is doing 95% of the talking. I asked VVS earlier and he said no, it's more like 80-20."
- Harsha Bhogle's commentary as Srikanth and Laxman are shown talking in the Sunrisers dugout.
"I don’t think he is worried about his game; he’s more worried about golf and practises more golf than cricket."
- Virender Sehwag on Glenn 'Maxi' Maxwell.
"I can’t bear to watch them. They are so boring."
- Here's what Kevin Pietersen thinks of ODI cricket.
"Varun Aaron has tried about 10,000 variations — wide, no-ball, slower one..."
- Rameez Raja at his best.
"I train my brain even while travelling in bus."
- The secret to Virat Kohli's success has been revealed.
"If I can keep my temper in check on the cricket field, golf is not a problem."
- Tendulkar is not playing golf to keep his temper in check.
"Starting to question whether I'm a cricketer or a model here at the IPL."
- SRH paceman Dale Steyn on his spare time being taken up by photoshoots
"Describing a match is your job. You come up with 20 ways when we are no good."
- George Bailey when asked to describe the game by a journalist
"At CSK there is only one captain and that is MS Dhoni."
- Brendon McCullum when he was asked whether the four international captains in CSK share the leadership role.
"His insight into cricket is like nothing I have seen before."
- Delhi Daredevils pacer Nathan Coulter-Nile on coach Kirsten
"I have changed my technique and I have cleaned up my cricket in a big way, which has helped me play more correct cricket."
- Robin Uthappa
"I will dedicate an Indian Premier League innings to my newborn son."
- Yusuf Pathan is not getting carried away by fatherhood.
"Albie de Villiers - Albie Morkel - wish we had another de Villiers."
RCB coach Allan Donald gets confused by which South African is playing for which team.
"I love Vettori's team meetings, the latest one lasted 3 minutes 24 seconds."
- Allan Donald appears not to care much for meetings
"Kele ki tarah mudi hai ye gend": Navjot Sidhu is very impressed with Zaheer Khan's swinging delivery during the opening match between Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders. It means 'that delivery moved like a banana' — Roberto Carlos' freekicks have competition.
"You should be standing in attention while talking to me now," interim BCCI president Sunil Gavaskar told host Gaurav Kapoor after he pointed that Gavaskar was wearing a jacket with a different logo now. Kapoor was referring to having chats with Gavaskar about the match in previous editions — something Gavaskar can't do with his new duties.
Before start of the IPL
"We will try the laundry, that's good, will keep us clean" - MS Dhoni
A classic Dhoni response to a question about how this season’s IPL would be kept clean.
"Yuvi and we are going to start Gangnam style together. I am sure he is looking forward for that act.” - Chris Gayle
Gayle is clearly planning to have some fun this season. No word yet on whether Yuvi will be a willing partner in crime though
I am really looking forward to spending time with him and talking about life and cricket. He will probably be sick of me by the end of the IPL. - Michael Hussey
Hussey plans to take advantage of his move from CSK to MI by picking Sachin Tendulkar’s brain clean.
“Every time the ball would go up and we saw Munaf under it, we all were like ‘Oh, there’s another drop!’” - Jonty Rhodes
Rhodes is the fielding coach of Mumbai Indians and had the privilege of working with India seamer Munaf Patel, who has never been the most athletic, or willing, of fielders.
‘For us to be able to turn it around like we did within that week, and really galvanised us, it certainly made us an even stronger group than we were previously. - Shane Watson
Rajasthan Royals captain Shane Watson believes the spot-fixing scandal that resulted in three RR players being arrested last season had a positive affect on the team.
Published Date: Jun 02, 2014 16:24 PM | Updated Date: Jun 02, 2014 17:18 PM