Sachin Tendulkar, arguably the best one-day batsman ever, has retired from 50-over cricket. Tendulkar played in 463 ODIs, during the course of which he scored 18,426 runs with 49 centuries and 96 half-centuries, all of them world records. He averaged 44.83 in the format and had a strike-rate of 86.23. He was also the first male cricketer to make one-day double-hundred.
In a statement given to BCCI President, N Srinivasan, Tendulkar said: “I have decided to retire from the One Day format of the game. I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup wining Indian team. The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early and in right earnest. I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future.
“I am eternally grateful to all my well wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years.”
Below are detailed Sachin stats
• Matches played: 463 (most by any player)
• Most Runs: 18,426 runs at an average of 44.83
• Most centuries: 49
• Most Fifties: 96
• Highest number of 50+ scores in ODI's - 145 (49 Centuries and 96 Fifties).
• First player to have scored over 100 innings of 50+ runs.
• Most Man of the Match awards: 62
• Most Man of the Series awards: 15
• Most ODI runs in a calendar year: 1,894 ODI runs in 1998.
• Most Centuries in a calendar year: 9 ODI centuries in 1998.
• Longest career span : 22 years 91 days.
• Between April 1990 and April 1998 Tendulkar played 185 consecutive matches – a World record.
• Tendulkar has played on 96 different grounds – most by any player.
• Only player ever to cross the 14,000-15,000-16,000-17,000 and 18,000 run marks.
• First player to reach 10,000-11,000-12,000-13,000-14,000-15,000-16,000-17,000 and 18,000 ODI runs.
• 15,310 of his runs came while opening the innings with the aid of 45 centuries and 75 fifties in 340 innings- most by an opener.
• Was the first batsman to score a double century in ODIs (200* against South Africa at Gwalior on Feb 24,2010).
• Tendulkar top-scored for India on 129 occasions – most such occasions for any player in ODIs.
• Was the first players to complete the all-round treble of 10000 runs, 100 wickets and 100 catches.
• Is the only player to have made three scores of 175 or more.
• Is the only player with five scores of 150 or more.
• Holds the record for scoring 1,000 ODI runs in a calendar year on most occasions. He did so seven times - 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007
• Tendulkar has scored over 1,000 ODI runs against all major Cricketing nations.
• Has played ODIs with 866 players (teammates and opponents) – most for any player in ODI history.
• Most scores in 90s: 18 (including one not out innings).
• Was involved in 99 century partnerships – most by any player.
• Tendulkar was the first batsman to score over 3,000 runs against an opponent (3,077 runs against Australia).Since then he has also done this against Sri Lanka (3,113 runs).
• Tendulkar was the fastest to reach 10,000 runs taking 259 innings and has the highest batting average among batsmen with over 10,000 ODI runs.
• His nine centuries against Australia are the most by any player against a particular country. He occupies the second place too, with eight centuries against Sri Lanka.
• Sachin Tendulkar with Sourav Ganguly holds the world record for the maximum number of runs scored by the opening partnership. They put together 6,609 runs in 136 matches that include 21 century partnerships and 23 fifty run partnerships. The 21 century partnerships for the opening pair is also a world record.
• Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid hold the world record for the highest partnership in ODIs when they scored 331 runs for the second wicket against New Zealand in 1999-00 at the Hyderabad.
• Only the second player (after Javed Miandad) to appear in SIX World Cups – from 1992 to 2011.
• Most runs (2,278) in World Cup history including 6 centuries & 15 fifties with a best score of 152 against Namibia in 2003 world cup.
• 673 runs in 2003 Cricket World Cup, highest by any player in a single World Cup.
• Tendulkar is the only Indian to score a century on ODI captaincy debut (110 v Sri Lanka at Colombo RPS on 28-08-1996).
• Tendulkar was the first Indian player to score a century and capture four wickets in the same ODI (v Australia at Dhaka on 28-10-1998).
• 11.27% of all the runs and 24.50% of all the hundreds scored by all Indian batsmen have come from Tendulkar’s bat.
Performance vs countries
Performance in countries
Tendulkar at different positions
Tendulkar's mode of dismissals: Out of 411 completed innings, Sachin was caught 258 times, bowled 68 times, LBW 39 times, run-out 34 times, stumped 11 times and hit-wicket once.
A break-up of Tendulkar's scores
Tendulkar's most productive years
Tendulkar's nemesis: Tendulkar has been dismissed by Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee and Chaminda Vaas nine times, by Glenn McGrath and Heath Streak seven times and six times by Courtney Walsh, Azhar Mahmood and Abdul Razzaq.
Tendulkar's most productive series
Top run-getters in ODI Cricket
First Published On : Dec 24, 2012 10:37 IST