There are many things that make Ricky Ponting a legend in cricket — his constant flirting with controversy, his leadership, his desire to win and his impeccable technique.
But there also his numbers. Numbers which are staggering and only second to Sachin Tendulkar.
Here's a quick look at the facts and figures that make up for Ponting's career.
Test debut: v Sri Lanka, Perth, 08-12-1995 (scored 96 in only innings batting at no.5)
ODI debut: v South Africa, Wellington, 15-02-1995 (scored 1 off 6 balls batting at no.6)
T20I debut: v New Zealand, Auckland, 17-02-2005 (scored 98* off 55 balls batting at no.4)
- Only player to be involved in 100 Test victories - 108 to be precise- out of 168 he played.
- His 168 Tests are the most played by an Australia, along with Steve Waugh.
- Led Australia to 48 wins (out of 77 Tests as captain) – most by any captain.
- His 7,578 runs in 92 Tests are the most by any player at home and so are his 23 hundreds.
- Scored 96 on Test debut – vs Sri Lanka at Perth in December 1995.
- Scored 1,503 runs in 2003 to set a new Australian record of most runs in a calendar year. Bettered this with 1,544 runs in the year 2005. He also became the first batsman to aggregate 1,500 runs in a calendar year on TWO occasions.
- Only player to score hundreds in both innings of his 100th Test – 120 and 143* vs South Africa at Sydney in January 2006.
- Scored hundreds in both innings of a Test on 3 occasions – most by any player, along with Sunil Gavaskar.
- Scored double centuries in back to back Tests against India in 2003 and equalled Don Bradman’s record of most double centuries in a calendar year as he had also scored a double century against West Indies earlier that year.
- Ponting’s 242 remains the highest score by a batsman in a Test for a side that lost (v India at Adelaide in December 2003).
- Has the second highest run-tally (13,378 runs) in Test cricket, behind only India’s Sachin Tendulkar.
- Has taken the second most catches (196) for a fielder in Tests behind India’s Rahul Dravid (210)
- Won 16 Tests on a trot as captain between December 2005 and January 2008 – a Test record.
Published Date: Dec 04, 2012 10:32 am | Updated Date: Dec 04, 2012 11:00 am