It was the kind of innings that one would have paid a lot of money to watch. However, with the India A tour not being telecast, cricket fans around the the world missed a chance to watch Shikhar Dhawan's record-breaking run in international cricket continue.
He started off his Test career with a blistering knock of 187 against Australia in Mohali — the fastest century by a Test debutant and his performances since only show that this guy is going to keep getting better.
Dhawan’s breathtaking 248 runs off 150 balls on Monday helped India A beat South Africa A by 39 runs and secure a berth in the final of tri-series involving Australia A.
Indeed, we can't wait for the Test tour of South Africa to begin. This innings will give him a lot of confidence ahead of the tour which is scheduled to begin somewhere in November (the BCCI hasn't confirmed the dates as yet).
Here are a few statistics that emerged as a result of his record-breaking innings:
- Dhawan’s first 100 came off only 86 balls, the second hundred came off only 46 balls as he raced to his first List A double hundred in only 132 balls.
- Dhawan made 248 in 150 balls including 7 sixes and 30 fours. His 30 fours equalled the List A record for the most fours by Aly Brown during his 268.
- Dhawan is only the third Indian to have scored a double hundred in one-dayers — Sachin Tendulkar and Sehwag are the other two.
- Highest individual scores in limited-over games
- 268 - Ali Brown
- 248 - Shikhar Dhawan
- 222* - G Pollock
- 222 - J How
- 219 -V Sehwag
You can see the entire list HERE
- India A's 433/3 is the sixth highest total in limited-overs cricket and the second highest by a team from the sub-continent after SL's 443/9. The highest team score by any Indian team before this match was: 418/5 vs West Indies at Indore in 2011.
- Highest successful chase in a List A match is 438/9 by S Africa vs Australia at Johannesburg in 2006. But the SA A team didn't even get close.
- Shikhar Dhawan's 248 is now the highest for any country A side. Prev best: 173* by Upul Tharanga for SLA vs SAfA at East London in Sep 2008
- This was also Dhawan's 14th List A century. His fifth List A century in 2013 -- illustrating just good he has been this year.
First Published On : Aug 13, 2013 15:32 IST