No additional pressure on us: Duminy talks of South Africa's 'quiet confidence' for World T20 - Firstpost

No additional pressure on us: Duminy talks of South Africa's 'quiet confidence' for World T20

Updated: Mar 11, 2016 22:22 IST

#Cricket   #ICC WT20 2016   #India   #JP Duminy   #South Africa   #World T20  

Mumbai: Experienced South Africa all-rounder Jean Paul Duminy doesn't think there is any additional pressure on him and his team mates going into the ICC World Twenty20 Championships because the Proteas have invariably come unstuck in these major events.

"Pressure is always there but there's no additional pressure. In the past I would like to think that we had buckled under pressure. But in the last T20 and 50-over World Cups we lost in the semi-finals, yes, but were outplayed by better teams," said Duminy at a media interactive session in Mumbai on Friday.

"We have made big strides. We have competed in those semi-finals and given ourselves a good chance of winning, but unfortunately not got over the line. Hopefully, this time around if we get that opportunity again we would come out on the better side," said the 31-year old batsman who bowls off spin.

JP Duminy. Getty

JP Duminy. Getty

Duminy was of the opinion that teams ranked in the top four (South Africa are No.1) going into these world events are at an advantageous position.

He also said that the proliferation of T20 leagues around the world has made this prestigious tournament a more even field.

"So many T20 cricket is being played around the world that guys are getting more experienced, especially when it comes to the shorter format. Many sides are capable and it makes it more exciting. Not one side can potentially win the series or tournament.

"If you are ranked in the top 3 or 4 you give yourselves a good chance coming into this sort of tournament. We are quietly confident that we stand a good chance," he added.

Duminy said the mood in his country and within the team was upbeat ahead of their campaign that starts with the Super 10 Group 1 match against England here on March 18.

"Quietly confident, is the phrase that comes to mind, especially in terms of the shorter format about how we have been playing. A lot of confidence, within our country and within our team, swirls around.

"We are looking forward to this tournament and to the fact that we have had great success in this format over the last 18 months. There was a hiccup against Australia (team\ lost 1-2 after leading 1-0), but lots of positives emerged too," he said.

Asked whether there had been any pep talks within the group, he said there have been some but it all becomes irrelevant unless the performance on the field follows.

"Within the squad we have had good conversation and the understanding of what's needed to play well in these conditions. You can have all the talk, but it's performance on the field that counts."

He agreed that the connection many South African cricketers have with the Indian Premier League is beneficial to play in the conditions here but at the same time the opposition is varied.

"It's always advantageous when you are playing in these kinds of tournaments and in these conditions. But the difference here is you will be playing certain teams in these conditions.

"You won't necessarily be playing a lot of spin like against India or when you play in IPL. You have to understand what the opposition strategy would be against you in these conditions and be prepared for it," Duminy said.

The South African said he looked forward to bowl on Indian tracks.

"I do enjoy bowling on Indian wickets. I know that's going to potentially bring a lot of opportunities for me especially in these conditions. Hopefully I can, given those opportunities, will make them count."

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments