London: The ATP on Monday ordered controversial Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios to see a sports psychologist or face an eight-week ban after his tantrum at the Shanghai Masters.
The tennis tour organisers added $25,000 to a $16,500 penalty ordered last week and said an eight-week ban would be reduced to three weeks if the player "enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist, or an equivalent plan approved by ATP."
Kyrgios has been in repeated trouble with the tennis authorities, getting a suspended one-month ban last year for comments made to Stan Wawrinka.
The 21-year-old Kyrgios was slapped with a $16,500 penalty at the Shanghai Masters last week where he gave away points, swore and argued with fans before being booed off court.
"Nick's conduct in Shanghai was unacceptable, disrespectful to the sport and its fans," said ATP executive chairman Chris Kermode.
"We take these matters very seriously and he has since apologised for his actions.
"Nick is a phenomenal talent and our hope is that he uses this time away from the tour constructively and, with some support, is able to return to competition with an improved mindset and stronger than ever before."
The ATP said that after an investigation into the Australian's second round match in Shanghai, Kyrgios had been found guilty of conduct contrary to the integrity of the game.
This meant an additional $25,000 fine and an immediate eight week suspension.
"However, the suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist, or an equivalent plan approved by ATP."
If Kyrgios agrees to see a psychologist he could return to the tour on November 7, after the three week ban.
The 21-year-old released a statement on Monday apologising for his behaviour.
"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said.
"I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."