The Mumbai police has named BCCI President N Srinivasan's son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan in a chargesheet in connection with the betting racket in which actor Vindoo Dara Singh was also arrested. Gurunath was allegedly in constant touch with Vindoo and it is because of this contact that the police decided to call him in for questioning.
He has been charged with cheating, betting, conspiracy and forgery in the chargesheet. He exchanged team information and team lists with Vindoo Dara Singh.
Here are a few facts about him:
- Gurunath Meiyappan, the team principal of the Chennai Super Kings, is the son-in-law of N Srinivasan, the Vice Chairman & Managing Director of India Cements and the president of the BCCI.
- Gurunath who is in his late 30s, has three children with Srinivasan’s daughter Rupa, who is a director on the board of India Cements.
- He is the son of AVM Balasubramanian who is the brother of AVM Saravanan. They are part of the AVM family, which owns one of the oldest, and biggest, TV and film production houses in South India.
- Gurunath is the the managing director of AVM Productions and Entertainment.
- Golf and motor racing are the sports that Gurunath has played at a competitive level. He has won the Palani Hills Open amateur golf tournament multiple times and has competed in Formula Asia.
- He told the Hindu in 2011 that he has learned his values from playing golf. “In a day's golf, you can discover much about a man's character — how he is as a person, and how he would do business. Everything.”
- In the same Hindu interview, Gurunath reveals that he, Dhoni and Fleming exchanged their lists of playing XI for at 5:45 pm (for the 8 pm games).
Published Date: Sep 21, 2013 17:05 PM | Updated Date: Sep 21, 2013 17:06 PM