Statistical highlights after opening day's play in the first Test between India and New Zealand.
- Cheteshwar Pujara and Murali Vijay put on 112 for the second wicket - India's second highest for the second wicket vs New Zealand at Kanpur in Tests next only to the 114 between Sunil Gavaskar and Mohinder Amarnath in 1976.
- The highest second wicket partnership by an Indian pair at Kanpur is 150 between Mohammad Azharuddin and Kris Srikkanth vs England in Jan/Feb 1985.
- Vijay and Pujara have managed 1689 runs at an average of 60.32 in 28 innings, including four century stands and nine fifty-plus. Among the Indian pairs with 1500 runs or more in Tests, their average is the fourth highest in Tests - the highest being 67.82 between Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar - 1560 runs in 23 innings, including four century stands and five fifty-plus.
- India (291/9) have recorded their third highest total on the first day of a Test match at Green Park, Kanpur - the highest two are 417 for two vs Sri Lanka in 2009-10 and 304 for four vs New Zealand in 1976-77
- Ravichandran Ashwin (40) has taken his aggregate to 275 at an average of 55.00 in five innings - the highest among the Indian batsmen in Tests this year. His aggregate includes two hundreds.
- Wriddhiman Saha has posted his fourth duck in Tests - his third in India.
- Murali Vijay (65) has registered his first fifty in five innings vs New Zealand in Tests. In his previous four innings against them, he had posted 26, 13, 2 and 7.
- Vijay's 13th fifty in Tests is his first vs New Zealand.As compared to his average of 36.85 away from home, Vijay is averaging 48.08 in home Tests.
- Mitchell Santner (3/77) has registered his career-best bowling figures in Tests, eclipsing the 2 for 16 vs Zimbabwe at Bulawayo in July this year.
- Cheteshwar Pujara (62) has recorded his eighth fifty in Tests - his first vs New Zealand.
- Pujara became the first Indian batsman to aggregate 700 runs this year in first-class cricket in India - his aggregate being 719 at an average of 102.71, including three hundreds and a fifty, in eight innings.
- As against his home average of 64.29 (1543 runs in 28 innings), Pujara is averaging 33.36 in away Tests (1001 runs in 31 innings).
- India have become the fourth nation after England (976), Australia (791) and West Indies (517) to have appeared in 500 Tests or more.
- Trent Boult (3/52) has registered his best bowling figures vs India in Tests in India - his second best vs India behind the 3 for 38 at Auckland in February 2014.
- Mohammad Shami's first duck vs New Zealand is his fifth in Tests.
Published Date: Sep 22, 2016 09:41 pm | Updated Date: Sep 22, 2016 09:42 pm