Mohali: Statistical highlights on day three of the third cricket Test between India and England in Mohali.
-Ravindra Jadeja (90) posted his highest score in Tests -- his previous best was 68 vs England at Lord's in July 2014.
- Apart from his two fifties vs England, he has scored 50 not out vs New Zealand at Kanpur in September 2016.
- Jadeja's 90 is the third highest by number eight player in Tests at Mohali -- the top two being Kamran Akmal's 109 off 154 balls for Pakistan in March 2005 and Mahendra Singh Dhoni's 92 for India vs Australia in October 2008. West Indian Anderson Cummins is the only other player at this batting position to post a fifty at this venue -- 50 in December 1994.
- Jayant Yadav's 55 is his first half-century in Tests, surpassing the 35 at Visakhapatnam in November 2016. Ravichandran Ashwin (72), Ravindra Jadeja (90) and Jayant Yadav (55) have provided the first occasion of number seven, eight and nine recording fifty-plus scores in the same Test innings for India. In all, the instance is the seventh in the history of Test cricket.
- With the dismissal of Umesh Yadav, Jonny Bairstow has established a record for most dismissals by a wicketkeeper in a calendar year in Tests -- his tally being 68 (65 catches + 3 stumpings) in 15 Tests, surpassing the 67 each by Ian Healy (1993) and Mark Boucher (1998).
- Ben Stokes (5/73) has recorded his third five-wicket haul in Tests. His first two were against Australia -- 6 for 36 at Nottingham in 2015 and 6 for 99 at Sydney in 2014.
- The last England fast bowler to take five wickets or more in an innings vs India in Tests in India was Matthew Hoggard -- six for 57 at Nagpur in March 2006.
- Alastair Cook has been dismissed by Ashwin seven times in nine Tests. The four bowlers to have taken Cook's wicket most times than Ashwin are -- Mitchell Johnson (9), Ishant Sharma (8), Morne Morkel (8) and Ryan Harris (8). Australia's Ed Cowan and Cook are the two batsmen dismissed by Ashwin most times in Tests -- 7 times each.
- Jayant Yadav became the fifth number nine Indian player to post a fifty vs England in Tests on Indian soil, joining Bapu Nadkarni, Farokh Engineer, Syed Kirmani and Anil Kumble.
- Ashwin (72) has posted his highest score while batting at number seven, eclipsing the 70 at Rajkot in the first Test of the current series.
- Jadeja and Yadav were involved in a partnership of 80 -- India's highest eighth-wicket partnership in Tests at Mohali, bettering the 61 between Virat Kohli and Bhuvneshwar Kumar vs Australia in March 2013.
- India's number seven and lower order batsmen have scored 230 runs. Just only twice, more runs have been scored for India by number seven and lower order in a Test innings -- 259 vs England at The Oval in 2007 and 234 vs New Zealand at Wellington in 2014.
- Since January 2015, India's lower order batsmen i.e. partnerships for the seventh wicket or lower have averaged 25.22 while scoring 2144 runs in 89 innings, including two century stands and nine fifty-plus -- the best amongst the Test-playing nations, followed by Zimbabwe (23.06) and England (22.52).
Published Date: Nov 28, 2016 22:18 PM | Updated Date: Nov 28, 2016 22:18 PM