London: England's Ben Stokes sent records tumbling against South Africa in Cape Town on Sunday by smashing the second-quickest double hundred in Test history and the fastest by an England player.
This is how Twitter reacted:
"So far this morning I have seen a bit of (Adam) Gilchrist and (Garfield) Sobers mixed into Ben Stokes ... This is a 'I was there moment' .... Thank you @benstokes38."
- Former England skipper Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan)
"What am I watching! Absolute pleasure @benstokes38. Serious striking going on, what an innings bro!"
- England and Surrey batsman Jason Roy (@JasonRoy20)
"Doesn't get much better than that!! Got a bit of talent! Unbelievable @benstokes38 and what a place to do it."
- Former England all-rounder Paul Collingwood (@Colly622)
"Take a bow @benstokes38 he could write the book on taking the game away from opposition. All men on fence and still backing himself."
- England bowler Tim Bresnan (@timbresnan)
"@benstokes38 take a bow #immensebatting #bothamesque."
- Former England footballer Matt Le Tissier (@mattletiss7) sees glimpses of the great Ian Botham
- Stokes's Durham team-mate Graham Onions (@BunnyOnions) keeps it short and sweet
"Most brutal 2 hours I can recall by Eng. 196 runs from 25 overs. Stokes 204, (Jonny) Bairstow 95."
- Former England player and Guardian cricket writer Mike Selvey (@selveycricket)
"Our club has grown by one today. Well batted @benstokes38."
- Yorkshire coach Jason Gillespie, who scored an improbable double-century for Australia against Bangladesh in 2006
Published Date: Jan 04, 2016 08:41 am | Updated Date: Jan 04, 2016 08:42 am