Unfortunate steps were taken by UPA in Ishrat Jahan case, says MoS Rijiju - Firstpost
Firstpost
You are here:

Unfortunate steps were taken by UPA in Ishrat Jahan case, says MoS Rijiju


New Delhi: Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Thursday said that 'unfortunate steps' were taken by the previous UPA government in the Ishrat Jahan case during former Home Minister P. Chidambaram's tenure.

File photo of Kiren Rijiju. PTI

File photo of Kiren Rijiju. PTI

"The intention was clear as to why a hardcore terrorist was declared innocent in an affidavit. It is clearly perceptible here. Unfortunate steps were taken by the UPA government, particularly during Chidambaram's time. We will see what is to be done next," Rijiju said.

"We have already got the report (on missing files) submitted by the one-man inquiry committee (Additional Secretary BK Prasad). We have seen the report, some of the important documents are still untraceable," he added.

Earlier on Thursday, Chidambaram accused the Narendra Modi-led NDA government of creating a "fake controversy" around the affidavits in the Ishrat Jahan case.

In a statement Chidambaram quoted a report from The Indian Express that said a home ministry official probing the missing documents in the Ishrat Jahan case tried to tutor another official in the probe.

First Published On : Jun 16, 2016 20:15 IST

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments