Even as the BJP lashed out at the Opposition for questioning the veracity of the surgical strikes along the Line of Control last week, senior Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam on Tuesday accused the ruling BJP of using the strikes for political gains. He added that he would consider the strike false until the government provided some kind of proof.
"We are worried about the politicisation of the issue, surgical strike happened in our time too but we never used it for political gains. BJP is politicising it," Nirupam said at a press conference.
Pointing that government might have used the strike to relieve itself from the intense post-Uri attack pressure, Nirupam asked the Centre to explain why the DGMO convened a press conference to declare the strike.
"There were three surgical strikes during Congress regime, but we never politicised it. The DGMO never held a press conference to declare it. So, who told the DGMO to convene a press conference in the post-Uri scenario?" Nirupam asked.
"The government has to provide some sort of evidence without compromising national security," Nirupam added.
However, when asked whether his remarks were the official line of the Congress, Nuirupam said that his views were personal.
On Monday, the Congress had asked the government to put forth credible evidence of last week's surgical strikes to expose Pakistan's false propaganda.
Senior Congress spokesperson Anand Sharma had said Pakistan was misleading its people by claiming that no such attack had taken place.
In that backdrop, it would be necessary for the prime minister to "expose" Pakistan by putting forth credible evidence about the surgical strikes on the intervening night of 28 and 29 September, Sharma said.
"The government must expose Pakistan's denial. It has all the tools and instruments to do so," he had said.
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal too had asked the prime minister to present evidence of the strike to give a befitting reply to Pakistan.
"Since the last two days, Pakistan is taking international journalists to the border and trying to show that surgical strikes never took place. Two days back, the United Nations gave a statement that there was no such activity on the border," he had said.
"My blood boiled over these news reports (of the international media). Pakistan is indulging in smearing India's image at the international level. I appeal to the Prime Minister that the way he and the Army taught Pakistan a lesson on ground, he should also unmask the propaganda by Pakistan at international level. The whole country is with you. I also appeal to the countrymen not to believe in the false campaign by Pakistan," Kejriwal had said.
Cornering the Centre, former home minister and senior Congress leader P Chidambaram on Monday had also said that a major surgical strikes was carried out in 2013 but the then Congress government chose not to publicise it, reported India Today. However, Chidambaram did not ask for any evidence from the government.
Seven terror launch pads across the LoC were targeted by the Army on the night of 28 September in a nearly five-hour-long operation during which heli-borne and ground forces were deployed.
The announcement of the strikes came 11 days after the attack by Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad on an Indian army camp in Uri in Kashmir, after which Modi had said the attackers will not go "unpunished" and that they will not be forgiven.
With inputs from PTI