by FP Politics Apr 15, 2014 07:55 IST
Editorial Director of India TV Qamar Waheed Naqvi resigned from his post on Sunday night allegedly over the channel's 'scripted' interview with BJP's PM candidate Narendra Modi, hosted by the channels editor-in-chief Rajat Sharma.
Naqvi reportedly sent in a one-line resignation to the management, which was accepted. The reason, however, was not disclosed, and Rajat has claimed that Naqvi did not mention anything about Modi or the interview, which was recorded on 10 April at the channel's Noida studio.
While Sharma has not disclosed the reasons for his resignation, his associates have reportedly said it was because of the 'scripted' interview with Modi.
Sharma, however, defended the interview. "The interview with Modi was recorded on April 10 in India TV’s headquarters in Noida in the presence of 300 people sitting in the audience. How could an interview happening in presence of so many people be scripted?" he told The Indian Express.
Interestingly, on Monday, AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal, during an interaction with journalists, had alleged that certain journalists were being threatened by BJP leaders.
“I got some calls from senior editors. They say we have been getting calls from senior BJP leaders who are threatening them. Money is playing a role. People who don't agree with money are being threatened," IBNLive reported.
Naqvi had joined India TV in October last year after a nine-year stint at Aaj Tak. "Naqviji is a hugely respected professional. With his experience, knowledge and enigma we definitely see India TV growing faster than ever in its quest to reign supreme in the Hindi news genre and beyond," Sharma had said.
Ritu Dhawan, the CEO of the channel, told The Indian Express, “We have accepted his resignation and asked Naqvi to serve his notice period…. We are surprised at the reasons being attributed to it in the social media. Such reasons are baseless, and we condemn the effort being made to use it for political gains.”
more in Politics