New Delhi: Holding of common entrance examination for medical courses from this year continues to draw objections from lawmakers with members in the Lok Sabha on Monday raising the issue again and the government admitting that there are some "practical problems".
Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu noted that the decision was taken by the Supreme Court and not the government.
He said he will convey the concerns of members to the Health Minister who in turn will consult law officers.
K C Venugopal (Congress) called the decision "hasty and not practical" and said it has triggered much "confusion and apprehension" among parents.
He did not oppose the common entrance examination but said it should have been implemented from next year onward, noting that some states had already taken their exams.
The two-phases test, first on 1 May and second on 24 July, is also "discriminatory" as questions asked in the first phase will not be asked in the next.
"It will create havoc," he said, asking the government to take necessary step to maintain status quo.
His party colleague Rajiv Satav also spoke on similar lines, saying the decision will affect 80 per cent of Maharashtra students. He asked the government to file a Special Leave Petition in the apex court.
Naidu objected to Venugopal blaming the government for the decision, saying the order had come from the Supreme Court.
The government has asked the court to hear states as well, he said, adding he is not here to explain the order.
"There are some practical problems, some heart-burning also," he said.
The issue was raised last week also when members of various parties had opposed holding of the first phase of common entrance test for MBBS and BDS on 1 May saying it gives little time to students.
Some of them also demanded that states be given time till 2018 to adapt.
Published Date: May 02, 2016 04:56 pm | Updated Date: May 02, 2016 04:58 pm