In association with

One dead, 200 hospitalised after revelry with poison dyes

Mumbai: A teenager died and over 200 people were admitted to public hospitals after they used chemical dyes during Holi festivities.

13-year-old Vicky Walmiki had died due to poisoning after playing with the dyes, DNA reported.

Doctors suspect the dyes contained benzene which resulted in the poisoning. PTI

Over 200 persons, mostly residents of the Dharavi area, were admitted to public hospitals after they used the dyes during Holi festivities and later complained of breathlessness, giddiness, vomiting and headaches, hospital officials said.

"They suffered from chemical poisoning caused due to colour poisoning caused by chemical reagents," Dr Sanjay Oak, medical director of the major civic hospitals in Mumbai told Hindustan Times.

According to the police, some children had picked up the chemical dye powder from a dye godown that had shut down in the Mahim area of central Mumbai. Within a few hours of playing with the dyes, many of them began to show symptoms of poisoning and were rushed to nearby hospitals.

"Children from my neighbourhood dragged me out and applied colours. After a while, I started feeling giddy and had a headache," Puja Bhosale, a student admitted in a hospital told DNA.

The mother of a child admitted in the hospital said that her son had purchased the dye from a hawker.

"He was brought to the hospital after he fell unconscious. Within 10 minutes there were 15-20 other children in the hospital from my lane," Ishwari Murugan said.

Police officials said they had registered a case of voluntarily causing hurt but had not made any arrests in the case.

Published Date: Mar 09, 2012 09:47 AM | Updated Date: Mar 09, 2012 10:40 AM

Also See