Sushma Swaraj took the stage at UNGA in New York and turned the screws on Pakistan, naming the country as a hotbed of terror and calling on the international community to isolate countries like Pakistan which sow, reap and export only terror.
Top quotes from the Sushma Swaraj speech:
1. The Prime Minister of Pakistan also said that India has placed pre-conditions for talks which are not acceptable to him. What pre-conditions? We have gone towards Pakistan in friendship in the last two years which is without precedent. We conveyed Eid greetings to the Prime Minister of Pakistan, wished success to his cricket team, extended good wishes for his health and well being. Did all this come with pre-conditions attached? And what did we get in return? Pathankot, Bahadur Ali, and Uri. Bahadur Ali is a terrorist in our custody, whose confession is proof of Pakistan's complicity in cross-border terror.
2. Did we impose any pre-condition before extending an invitation for the oath-taking ceremony of our government? Did we impose any pre-condition when I went to Islamabad for the Heart of Asia conference and agreed to begin the Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue? Did we impose any pre-condition when Prime Minister Modi travelled from Kabul to Lahore? What pre-conditions?
3. Those living in glass houses must not throw stones. Those accusing others of human rights violations must peer over their shoulder at the neighbor and just look at what is going on in Baluchistan.
4. In our midst, there are nations that still speak the language of terrorism, that sow it and export it. To shelter terrorists has become their calling card. We must identify these nations and hold them to account. These nations in which terrorists roam free, lead processions and deliver their poisonous sermons should have no place in our midst.
5. We must acknowledge that terrorism is undoubtedly the biggest violation of human rights.
However, despite the blood and tears of innocent victims, attacks this year alone in Kabul and Dhaka, Istanbul and Mogadishu, Brussels and Bangkok, Paris, Pathankot and Uri as well as daily barbaric tragedies in Syria and Iraq, remind us that these forces are yet to be defeated. We, who have suffered in Uri recently, understand the pain inflicted by the same forces. Tragically, less than 15 days ago, another attempt at killing innocents was made through an act of terror in this same city.
First Published On : Sep 26, 2016 20:15 IST