The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday released two Pakistani schoolboys, who were arrested as Uri terror attack suspects after no incriminating evidence was found against them. The agency handed over the two schoolboys, Ahsan Khursheed and Faisal Hussain Awan, to a Jammu-based Army corps who would, in turn, facilitate their return to Pakistan.
According to CNN News 18, Ahasan and Awan were detained by Indian Army on 21 September, three days after the Uri attack and handed over to NIA. A source in the NIA had earlier confirmed that the boys had strayed into the Indian side on the Line of control (LoC), and will be handed over to Pakistan once the court formalities were over.
The two were arrested in Uri town, that left at least 19 soldiers dead and was blamed on Pakistan.
"Hussain and Khursheed have been released and handed over to the Army's 16 Corps headquarters today (Wednesday) for sending them back to Pakistani authorities," said a National Investigation Agency (NIA) official.
The NIA probe has revealed that the two are residents of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and had crossed over after an altercation with their parents over "studies". According to The Times of India, the top officials in the government said that the two Pakistani boys have been released as a goodwill gesture as Pakistan recently released Indian Army jawan Chandu Chavan, who had strayed into PoK last year.
NIA said that the evidence collected in the form of statements, analysis of their mobile phones, seized GPS devices and other circumstantial evidence collected by it did not reveal any link of the suspects with the attackers who attacked the Army camp in Uri on 18 September 2016.
The NIA has claimed that terror group Laskar-e-Taiba was behind the Uri terror attack. The spokesperson added that "further investigation is continuing in the case."
With inputs from the Agencies
Published Date: Mar 08, 2017 18:07 PM | Updated Date: Mar 08, 2017 18:30 PM