Uran alert: Police continues search operations even as naval areas are sanitised - Firstpost
Firstpost
You are here:

Uran alert: Police continues search operations even as naval areas are sanitised


A day after a high alert was issued along the Mumbai coast and adjoining areas after a group of armed men were allegedly spotted by a few school children in Uran, the Defence PRO on Friday said that search operations are over and the naval areas have been sanitised.

Police said none of the men could be traced so far even as Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who was in Pune, said the information about suspicious armed people being spotted in Uran was yet to be corroborated.

Talking to PTI, Satish Mathur, Director General of Police, said, "Search operations by police is still on in Uran area. But, so far, nothing significant has been come across."

Mumbai police conducting search operations. PTI

Mumbai police conducting search operations. PTI

He said police had also submitted a confidential report on the search operations to the government. A high-level meeting of Police officials and National Security Guard (NSG) unit commanders was also held at Uran in the morning.

"As the state of alertness is concerned, Indian Navy maintains a high state of alert and tight vigil at all times in consonance with the prevailing circumstances," The Western Naval Command of Navy said.

Few children from Uran Education Society's school had reportedly spotted some armed men and their had teacher informed the police. After receiving the information, multiple agencies had launched a probe.

The Western Naval Command (WNC) had later issued a "highest state of alert" along the Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and Raigad coasts where several sensitive establishments and assets are located.

The National Security Guard (NSG), state police's specialised commandos Force One and ATS, apart form the Mumbai police and Coast Guard were also roped in for the search operations.

The Navy had deployed its choppers for aerial surveillance and security was beefed up in parts of Mumbai.

A second battalion of the NSG was deployed on Friday. Schools in the region remained shut after the alert was issued. The Navi Mumbai police also released the sketch of one of the five suspects.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had appealed to citizens not to panic on Thursday and said all precautions are being taken. Gujarat coast was also put on high alert and security agencies were asked to keep a close vigil.

Comment using Disqus

Show Comments