New Delhi: Two suspected members of the Islamic State (IS) militant group on Wednesday moved an application before a court here, pleading guilty to the charges levelled against them.
Sheikh Azhar-ul-Islam alias Abdul Sattar Sheikh and Mohammed Farhan alias Mohammed Rafiq Shaikh pleaded guilty to the charges before District Judge Amar Nath, who listed the matter for 10 April.
Ths court has asked National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file a reply on the plea.
The NIA had arrested Sheikh, Farhan and Adnan Hassan alias Mohammad Hussain in January last year for involvement in a conspiracy to identify, motivate and radicalise, recruit and train Indians in the country as well as other countries.
Both Sheikh and Farhan in their application said they were remorseful for the alleged acts. They told the court they are of young age and unmarried, and that "we want to return to the mainstream and be productive for the society and want to rehabilitate ourselves".
"The applicants (Sheikh and Farhan) are pleading guilty without any pressure, threat, coercion or undue influence," they said.
"It is, therefore, most respectfully and in the interest of justice, prayed that the plea of guilt of the applicants may kindly be taken and after the sentence of the accused, they be directed to be transferred to their parent state prison for serving the sentence," the application stated, which was moved by their counsel M.S. Khan.
Sheikh Azhar hails from Jammu and Kashmir and Farhan and Hassan are residents of Maharashtra and Karnataka, respectively.
Published Date: Mar 29, 2017 17:35 PM | Updated Date: Mar 29, 2017 17:35 PM