Kokrajhar (Assam): Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday visited the Friday attack site in Kokrajhar and said strong action would be taken against the perpetrators who killed 14 civilians.
"It is a very unfortunate incident. Our stand is that none will be spared. We have already initiated strong action and operation is going on. We'll find out all those behind this incident," he told reporters here.
"Our government is committed to protect the life and property of the people. We'll not compromise on this. Our stand is zero tolerance to terror," Sonowal said.
When asked about the identity of the killers, he said "whatever information and evidence we have collected so far, it is found that NDFB is behind this. We are still conducting our search operation. Whoever is behind this will be brought to
Later the chief minister proceeded to hold a high-level meeting with police, army and paramilitary officials to assess the situation.
Meanwhile, an AGP legislative team under the leadership of former Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta also visited the spot this morning.
"It's a very unfortutane incident. We hope such incident will never happen again. We have come here to know the actual fact. The ongoing investigation should reveal the truth," Mahanta said.
"Giving security to people is a duty of an elected government and it has to fulfill this," he said.
At least 15 people, including a terrorist, were killed and 20 others injured by suspected NDFB(S) militants and retaliatory firing by security forces in Kokrajhar district on Friday.
First Published On : Aug 7, 2016 14:27 IST