Nissan Logo
ACC Logo NZ logo Cigna logo
You are here:

Patient's vital signs are deteriorating: Singapore hospital

The condition of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape survivor has taken a turn for the worse today evening with signs of major organ failure, a statement from the Mount Elizabeth Hospital said.

"As of 9pm (Singapore time) on 28 December, the patient’s condition has taken a turn for the worse. Her vital signs are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure. This is despite doctors fighting for her life including putting her on maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses as well as stimulants which maximise her body's capability to fight infections," said Mount Elizabeth Hospital, chief executive officer, Kelvin Loh in the statement.

The family members of the girl are with her, Kelvin said.

Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore. AFP

"The High Commission of India is with her and her family at this critical time. Our medical team continues to provide all possible treatment and care," he said.

CNN-IBN adds

The medical bulletin said that the vital signs of the survivor are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure. The hospital further said that the condition was deteriorating despite the doctors fighting for her life.

The survivor has been put on maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses as well as stimulants that "maximise her body's capability to fight infections", said Kelvin.

According to the latest information, the family members of the survivor have also been informed about her deteriorating condition and that they are currently by her side to encourage and comfort her.

Earlier on Friday, the doctors said that the gangrape survivor had infection in lungs and abdomen, as well as an injury to the brain. She had also had cardiac arrest two days ago. Hospital authorities in Singapore said that the survivor was struggling against all odds and fighting for her life while a multi-disciplinary team was doing all to stabilise her.

Sources at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital had also indicated that no surgery could be conducted immediately as the survivor was still not fit for surgery. A statement issued by the Mount Elizabeth Hospital said, "The condition of the patient continues to remain critical. In addition to her prior cardiac arrest, the survivor also had infection of her lungs and abdomen, as well as significant brain injury. The patient is currently struggling against the odds, and fighting for her life...A multi-disciplinary team of doctors is taking care of her."

Speaking about her health condition, VP Nair, who is a cardiologist at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital, said that it was not good, adding "cardiac arrest in a young patient after multiple injuries is a serious problem". He also ruled out a possibility of shifting the survivor to UK, saying "transfer from one country to another on a long journey may not be a good idea for a patient with such difficult and complex medical problem...medical care in Singapore is as good as that in London".