India's National Investigative Agency (NIA) is trying to secure Interpol’s black corner notice to get vital leads about unidentified bodies of terrorists killed during the attack at an air base in Pathankot last week by 6 Pakistani militants that killed seven Indian soldiers.
The NIA has also recovered another mobile phone, binoculars, a magazine of AK-47 rifle from the encounter site in Pathankot. Meanwhile, Pakistan arrested some suspects in the case on the basis of the leads provided by Indian authorities.
Pakistani news channel ARY reported that there is action in Pakistan too where authorities have detained an unspecified number of suspects purportedly linked to the Pathankot attack from the Bahawalpur region, the main base of JeM founder Masood Azhar.
The channel reported the suspects were picked up on the basis of information provided by India.
Intelligence officials in Islamabad told PTI an unspecified number of people were arrested during raids in Gujranwala, Jhelum and Bahawalpur districts. The ongoing probe will ascertain if these people were “involved in the attack or some of them facilitated it.”
Sources in Islamabad said the detentions were made over the past few days though it was not clear if any of the people were members of the Jaish-e-Mohammed, blamed by Indian officials for the attack on Pathankot airbase that killed seven security personnel.
Under pressure from the US and India for a speedy probe, Prime Minister Sharif ordered the formation of a joint investigation team (JIT) comprising officials from the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Intelligence Bureau and Military Intelligence to examine the links of the attackers to Pakistan.
Sharif is “taking an active role in getting to the bottom of the Pathankot incident”, a source in the Prime Minister’s House is quoted as saying.
“This investigation will be a major test of the prime minister to move Pakistan-India relationship forward and to break the cycle of off-again on-again talks between the two neighbours,” sources said.
India has linked planned talks between the foreign secretaries in Islamabad on January 15 to “prompt and decisive action” by Pakistan. National security adviser Ajit Doval told the media India “will talk only if Pakistan takes action”, refuting a report that quoted him as saying the talks had been “cancelled”.
Indian officials have said the “actionable intelligence” shared with Pakistan includes Pakistani telephone numbers that were called by the attackers.
Geo News channel reported Monday that the phone numbers provided by India were “not registered in Pakistan”. It quoted sources saying that Pakistani authorities had completed their initial investigation into the information provided by New Delhi and handed over the findings to their Indian counterparts.
Published Date: Jan 11, 2016 23:41 PM | Updated Date: Jan 11, 2016 23:49 PM