Over 2,000 waqf encroachment cases reported in three years: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi

New Delhi: More than 2,000 cases of encroachment of waqf properties have been filed in the last three years and some of the complaints have been forwarded to the CBI, Minister of State for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said on Thursday.

Addressing the 76th Central Waqf Council, Naqvi said "several waqf properties have been under the clutches of powerful Waqf mafias due to criminal conspiracy between them and Waqf boards.

BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi. News18

BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi. News18

"We are making efforts to ensure that all the Waqf boards and their records across the country are made digital. (My Ministry) has been providing all possible help to the state Waqf boards."

He said a board of adjudication had been set up to look into the complaints at the central level under the chairmanship of a retired Supreme Court judge.

Likewise, three-member tribunals were being started at the state level. A total of 21 states had already done so.


Published Date: Jun 29, 2017 03:32 pm | Updated Date: Jun 29, 2017 03:32 pm


Also See