- In a huge setback to the personal ambitions of Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa of being reinstated, the Supreme Court has sanctioned a CBI probe against him in relation to irregularities in handing out mining contracts in the state.The sanction comes on the back of a recommendation by the Supreme Court appointed Central Empowered Committee.Following news of the verdict, Yeddyurappa called an urgent meeting with his supporters.
- We have a report from CNN-IBN in our video, which outlines all the latest in the Air India pilot crisis.
- So, as the Supreme Court refuses to interfere in the Air India crisis, there have been new developments with pilots at Kingfisher airlines. They have called of their strike after the management assured them that January salaries will be paid by 15th May. Apart from the assurances, Vijay Mallya also warned that strict action will be taken against the workers who have gone on a strike, and said that he will not allow a small group of misguided employees to derail and jeopardise operations.
- Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor Subir Gokarn expressed concerns over the 3.5 percent contraction in the Index of Industrial Production or the IIP data for March. He said that it indicates a sort of slowdown, which is a concern.
- Bing, Microsoft’s search engine has a new design being introduced in the over the next few days, dividing the Web page into three. The most important among these is the final column- which shows related content from Facebook and Twitter. Are Google listening?
- Prince Charles took to presenting the weather on BBC. We have a clip from the same.
- And finally–something to rejoice! The world isn’t ending! The oldest Mayan calendar shows that December 2012 is actually the beginning of a new calendar cycle called a baktun.
Thank you for listening… this is Firstpost and we will still be around come 2013.