- An initial Comptroller and Auditor General report estimating an Rs. 10.67 lakh crore loss to the exchequer on account of allotment of coal blocks during 2004 to 2009 without auction created ripples in the Parliament today and was described as “exceedingly misleading” by the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India himself.
On the other hand, in our bulletin- you can listen to Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy saying that the entire govt is involved in the issue.
In this file photo, President Patil administers the oath to Mukul Roy as new Railway Minister. Reuters
- We have a clip of new Railway Minister Mukul Roy, who announced the rollback in his reply on the Rail Budget in Parliament.
But in response to the proceedings, Dinesh Trivedi said he would not make any changes to his original budget if given an opportunity to present it again.
- The UN Human Rights Council passed a resolution on Thursday urging Sri Lanka to "credibly investigate" allegations of violations during the war against Tamil Tiger separatists in 2009. India voted against Sri Lanka on the resolution after pressure from political parties like the DMK and AIADMK on the issue.
- After the reported quarrel between the Bhattacharya couple, Norwegian child welfare services have now said they will talk to the parents and uncle before deciding the future course of action and until then the two children, Abhigyan and Aishwarya, will remain in foster care. CNNIBN was speaking to their grandfather and we have an excerpt of the interview in the bulletin.
- In world news, the French interior minister says the suspect in a three-attack killing spree has died after jumping from his apartment window with a gun in his hand. The suspect, who claims links to al-Qaida, jumped after police entered the apartment.
- In sport, star drag-flicker Sandeep Singh feels a tough group in the upcoming Games will only motivate the team to come out with a positive intent. India has been placed alongside former Olympic champions Germany, Netherlands, Korea, New Zealand and Belgium.
- In the EPL, Carlos Tevez made a dramatic return to Manchester City, assisting the winning goal for Samir Nasri as the challengers beat beat Chelsea 2-1.
- Finally, Microsoft, is all set to incorporate launch it’s new version of Windows with Retina Display going head to head with Apple to see who can create the best screen in this generations gadgets.
Firstpost encourages open discussion and debate, but please adhere to the rules below, before posting. Comments that are found to be in violation of any one or more of the guidelines will be automatically deleted:
Personal attacks/name calling will not be tolerated. This applies to comments directed at the author, other commenters and other politicians/public figures
Please do not post comments that target a specific community, caste, nationality or religion.
While you do not have to use your real name, any commenters using any Firstpost writer's name will be deleted, and the commenter banned from participating in any future discussions.
Comments will be moderated for abusive and offensive language.
“We had offered a police vehicle to the AAP members from the airport which was refused by them. We had also issued an order asking them not to gather more than five persons but they didn’t follow that either,” said Rajendra Nagbhirey, senior police inspector of the Airport Police Station.
Khurshid said essentially that the Supreme Court was interfering far too much in the conduct of an election campaign. “They’ve taken over billboards, who will put what kind of billboards, how far from road surfaces,” he said. “This is what the highest court in the country is deciding.”
Former editor-in-chief of Tehelka Tarun Tejpal called two Delhi mobile numbers with regularity from his prison cell, before a surprise raid last month put an end to these phone conversations, an investigation report prepared by prison authorities claims. Firstpost has seen the report which was submitted to the Margao district and session court earlier today. […]
There is not even a cursory mention in the BCCI’s press release about India not having played in the UAE since 2006, nor a word about any safeguards that will be put in place to protect the integrity of the tournament and the players.
After skipper Virat Kohli opted to bowl on winning the toss, Indian spinners Ravindra Jadeja, R Aswhin and Amit Mishra shared eight wickets between them to skittle out Afghanistan for 159 in 45.2 overs.
Welcoming Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan to the BJP-headed NDA, the BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi said the alliance would only keep growing. Speaking at a rally in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, Modi said that the acronym of the alliance could also be read as National Development Alliance, given that all the parties in […]
A dictionary would define mercurial as someone whose mood or behavior is changeable and unpredictable. Afridi fits the bill but after failures against Afghanistan and Sri Lanka, he wanted to get it right this time round.
Driven into a corner after their defeat to Sri Lanka, India will look to regroup quickly and plug their loopholes as they go into the make or break match against arch-rivals Pakistan in the Asia Cup on Sunday.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Thursday pulled up Union Minister Salman Khurshid for use of the word ‘impotent’ to describe the BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. He did not “appreciate” the use of such language, Rahul said.