The news bulletin was recorded at 7pm
- The BJP admitted today that despite days of negotiations, the NDA was unable to come to a consensus on who to support for the Presidential polls. Addressing a press briefing BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley admitted that the JD(U) and Shiv Sena were in favor of supporting UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee. However saying that they 'wanted to play the role of an opposition party', they said the BJP had decided to throw its weight behind former Lok Sabha speaker and tribal leader PA Sangma.
Sangma is already supported by Jayalalithaa's AIADMK and Naveen
Patnaik's BJD parties. Punjab's ruling Shiromani Akali Dal have also
said that they will support him. Speaking to reporters later Sangma
said he hoped that all the parties of the NDA would support him.
Meanwhile the Left parties were also unable to come to a consensus and have decided that while two will support Pranab Mukherjee while the two others will abstain.
- The tennis spat haunting India's sporting world may have come to a
conclusion today. The All India Tennis Association claimed to have worked
out a compromise formula to resolve the crisis by deciding to send two
men’s doubles teams for the event, pairing Leander Paes with a lower-ranked
Vishnu Vardhan. Mahesh Bhupathi will have his way... partnering Rohan
Bopanna. In the mixed doubles, if Sania Mirza gets a wildcard, then Paes
will partner her.
At the time of recording though, Paes had not reacted to whether he will go
to the games or not after he said yesterday that he might pull out if forced
to pair with a lower ranked player. Anyway, here's the reaction of a
- A huge fire is raging at Mantralaya in Mumbai, and latest reports say
that all those trapped as a result of the fire have been rescued. Several
injured have been admitted to hospital, but no one is believed to be in much
danger. The CBI has also said that all the files relevant to the Adarsh scam
are safe with the courts and have not been damaged as a result of the
Mantralaya fire. Earlier there were reports that the Adarsh files may have
been damaged as the fourth floor that initially caught fire had housed the
documents relating to the scam.
- A Pakistani court issued a non-bailable arrest warrant for Pakistan
Peoples Party prime ministerial candidate Makhdoom Shahabuddin. This is in
connection with alleged irregularities in the import of a large amount of
the controlled drug Ephedrine during his tenure as health minister.
The arrest warrant was issued at about the same time that Shahabuddin was
filing his nomination papers for the election of the new premier by the
National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
- In other news Tata group is developing an electric car that is expected to be priced below Rs 10 lakh in partnership with France’s Dassault Systemes.
- Over to sport and as the tennis saga unfolds at a painful pace, Euro 2012
is undisturbed in Poland and Ukraine. Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal take on
Czech Republic in the first knock-out match of the tournament. The
match is at 15 minutes past midnight and you can see our predictions on the
- Rajesh Khanna, the legendary actor, who is suffering from bad health, was
seen waving to his fans outside his bungalow— something for his fans to
Published Date: Jun 21, 2012 20:17 PM | Updated Date: Jun 21, 2012 20:17 PM