- The NCP crisis in Mahasrashtra triggered by the resignation of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and escalated with the resignations of 19 NCP Ministers from the state government, saw little to no resolution today. An NCP meet which was supposed to discuss the future course of the party instead concentrated on condoling with the death of senior MLA leader Babasaheb Kupekar.
Later however, reports emerged that a resolution had been passed, asking Pawar to rescind his resignation, while further reports added that it was likely that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan would be removed. And in a further twist, NCP leader Sharad Pawar who first denied that MLA's had resigned, has now supported his nephew. This is despite the fact that one of the reasons given for Ajit's resignation is a power tussle with his uncle.
Soap opera much? Check out the report in our bulletin.
- TV reports said that IPL team Deccan Chargers have been asked to pay a Rs 100-crore bank guarantee or face termination. The BCCI and the Deccan Chargers have agreed before the Bombay HC to go to an arbitrator to resolve their dispute. The Court had earlier granted status quo regarding the termination of the Deccan Chargers’ IPL franchise by BCCI.
- Nupur Talwar, one of the two main accused in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder trial, has said her time in prison was very hard. She has been released on bail after four months in the Dasna jail. She also said that she would continue writing a book she began while in prison.
We have her quotes in the bulletin.
- India’s largest car maker Maruti Suzuki India has reached a wage settlement agreement with its workers at its Gurgaon plant, under which the employees will get an average salary hike of Rs 18,000 per month spread over three years. The raise will catapult employees at the Gurgaon plant into the league of the highest-paid shop floor workers in the country. Under the three year agreement, to be implemented with retrospective effect from April this year, the workers will receive 80 percent of the increased salary in the first year and the rest in the following two years.
- Pakistan President Aisf Ali Zardari said at the 67th session of the UN General Assembly that Kashmir remained a symbol of failure of UN systems. Pakistan has raked up the issue of Kashmir at the UN forum time and again but India has insisted that it is its internal matter. US President Barack Obama has also ruled out any “outside” solution to the Kashmir issue, saying in an interview in July that disputes between India and Pakistan can only be resolved among themselves. Both Zardari and Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar refused to elaborate on Zardari's choice of words.
- The World T20 is moving into it's Super Eight stage but the biggest question is that of the selection of Virender Sehwag. We spoke to Ayaz Memon over the issue and he said that he wouldn't make his playing XI.
- According to a Tech2.com report, the 16GB version of the iPhone 5 costs approximately Rs 76,000 in India's grey market. The 32GB version is Rs 85,000, and the 64GB version of the iPhone 5 is available at a whopping Rs 1,00,000.