by FP Staff Jul 2, 2012 20:11 IST
- Sadananda Gowda but had been persuaded from pursuing their resignations after BJP leader Arun Jaitley spoke to Yeddyurappa today and assured him that the party will soon resolve the political crisis in Karnataka.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi undertook an aerial survey of flood-hit areas of Jorhat, Dhemaji and Dakshin Dinajpur and witnessed the extensive damage to life and property in Assam before announcing a Rs 500 crore package for the state. Assam has been battling the worst floods in recent times that has left 77 people dead and nearly five lakh homeless. Singh also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1 lakh to the next of the kin of each of the 77 dead.
- Big news in the Presidential race as nominee PA Sangma sought the cancellation of Pranab Mukherjee's nomination under the Office of Profit rules. This is on the ground that he is still the Chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute, a claim that has been denied by both Pranab and the ISI. The Institute says that he resigned on 20th June and Pranab's lawyers have claimed that Sangma’s allegation was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable. Check out our report.
- A section of pilots of the near-bankrupt Kingfisher Airlines went on
strike yesterday to protest against non-payment of salaries for the past
five months, forcing the airline to cancel its ATR-operated flights. Reports
also say that four Kingfisher flights have been cancelled from Mumbai.
- Sohail Khan’s driver, Dhananjay Pimple, was arrested and later released on
bail of Rs 10,000 after he ran over and killed a 70-year-old homeless woman in the northwest suburb of Bandra late last night. We have Sohail Khan's reponse.
- Over to sport and Spain were crowned champions of Europe after they crushed Italy 4-0 in the final of Euro 2012 last night. They became the only team to win three major international tournaments in a row. David Silva, Jordi Alba, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata scored for the Spaniards. Torres received the Golden Boot for his goals and assists in the tournament and Andres Iniesta won the player of the tournament.
Also, records were beaten on Twitter after 15,358 tweets per second were recorded after the fourth goal.
more in India