- No work was done in Parliament for a second day running as proceedings were adjourned after BJP leader and Leader of the opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley, categorically stated that they would obstruct Parliament from working until the Prime Minister resigned over his perceived role in the Coalgate scam. Jaitley also dismissed the possibility of a debate on the floor of the house, indicating that there seemed to be no common ground in the ongoing standoff. But there was a debate elsewhere... CNNIBN managed to speak to members of either party outside the Parliament.
- And, Twitter has promised to cooperate with the government after the Prime Minister’s Office complained to it about objectionable content on six accounts resembling the PMO’s official account. Airtel has also joined in with the government and has blocked the short-link url for YouTube, youtu.be for reasons yet unknown. Be as it may however, Airtel is not doing a great job in its clumsy efforts to censor. Airtel users can avoid the ban by typing youtube/watch to see or share a video.
We have a reaction from Union Minister Kapil Sibal, who has defended the government's decision...
- Employees of public sector banks in India have gone on two-day nationwide strike starting today- opposing banking sector reforms and outsourcing of non-core activities, affecting operations. Several private sector banks, foreign banks and ATMs, however, continued to operate normally. Nearly 10 lakh employees are participating in it.
- Over to some world news and Nasa’s Curiosity rover, scheduled to take its maiden test drive on the surface of Mars, today reported its first setback when a sensor on its weather station was damaged. However, the mission team says this is not a major problem and will merely degrade some measurements, not prevent them entirely.
- Over to sport and Team India is gearing up for their first Test match against New Zealand which starts tomorrow at 9.30 am. Interesting news filtering throughout the day, including MS Dhoni admitting that he wasn't invited for dinner at VVS Laxman's house. That and more on the sports page.
- And finally, in America: Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have finally closed their divorce case. In the UK though, Prince Harry has found that out now that his naked pictures are all over the Internet. This, after a round of strip Poker.